Yosemite Falls reflections

JohnC

Well-Known Member
OK, I was inspired to post this, by Jim's Half Dome reflection. This shot was taken last year. I worked it quite a bit and was never happy with the results even though I like the concept. I tried color as well as B&W. I really hate when the sky above any of the icons is cloudless. It's hard to make anything work in that scenario. Anyway, the color one is probably a little over saturated and the B&W could stand a little more exposure.






 

AlanLichty

Moderator
I like the scene and the concept - as well as your interpretations. The B&W gives you more room to play in most cases but you have a lot going on here that your color version does a little better job of displaying. Especially the trees on the far side of the meadow - I get a much better feel for the depth in the scene with the color version.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
I like the scene and the concept - as well as your interpretations. The B&W gives you more room to play in most cases but you have a lot going on here that your color version does a little better job of displaying. Especially the trees on the far side of the meadow - I get a much better feel for the depth in the scene with the color version.
Yeah, the trees are also reflected in the water and I was trying to capture that. It does appear that that is more visible in the color version.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
This would be an ideal candidate for the critique forum. Check out a recent post I did and the results.

http://www.focalworld.com/index.php?threads/cainville-butte-like-some-critique.4602/
Hey John, I will comment on your photo a little bit later, but let me second Ben’s comments here. Especially if you have a photo that for whatever reason you (or anyone) just can’t get to feel right, putting it into the Critique forum is a fun place to put the original raw photo and let others play with it and make suggestions. It makes for a really fun community event.

Now for some people, maybe they are too sensitive, or maybe it’s an ego thing, but if you look through past critiques or Let’s Play threads, you (or anyone) will see all suggestions are made because people care. And of course we won’t all agree with all suggestions, but the effort by everyone in the community means that everyone not just the OP of the thread gets to learn some new things, and that’s really cool.

Also if you look back at the Let’s Play a couple of weeks ago, you will see that I submitted a Upper Yosemite falls shot that I just couldn’t get to feel right, and it was awesome to see several of the people (Kyle and Darcy) come up with 2 versions of it that I really liked.

If you do ever want to submit a photo for Let’s Play, just contact Ben or myself.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Hey John, I will comment on your photo a little bit later, but let me second Ben’s comments here. Especially if you have a photo that for whatever reason you (or anyone) just can’t get to feel right, putting it into the Critique forum is a fun place to put the original raw photo and let others play with it and make suggestions. It makes for a really fun community event.

Now for some people, maybe they are too sensitive, or maybe it’s an ego thing, but if you look through past critiques or Let’s Play threads, you (or anyone) will see all suggestions are made because people care. And of course we won’t all agree with all suggestions, but the effort by everyone in the community means that everyone not just the OP of the thread gets to learn some new things, and that’s really cool.

Also if you look back at the Let’s Play a couple of weeks ago, you will see that I submitted a Upper Yosemite falls shot that I just couldn’t get to feel right, and it was awesome to see several of the people (Kyle and Darcy) come up with 2 versions of it that I really liked.

If you do ever want to submit a photo for Let’s Play, just contact Ben or myself.
I don't mind people offering suggestions. But I'm probably done putting any more work into it. I don't think it's worth it. I just thought it might be worth putting it out there and letting people comment. I enjoy discussing things about photos because it can provide a means to learn and get ideas that can be used in the future.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
I don't mind people offering suggestions. But I'm probably done putting any more work into it. I don't think it's worth it. I just thought it might be worth putting it out there and letting people comment. I enjoy discussing things about photos because it can provide a means to learn and get ideas that can be used in the future.
Yep, and I appreciate you posting it here as it is a cool shot. I am glad my Half Dome shot inspired you to post it. :)
 
Top Bottom