Upper Cathedral Lake Twilight

Kyle Jones

Moderator
I did one of my usual ninja trips to Yosemite a couple years ago to shoot sunset at Upper Cathedral Lake and then head back home. I've shared my sunset photo from this spot a while back (here), so here is the full color we got a little while later. One of my favorite spots in Yosemite to just sit and enjoy the quiet and the view.

Any thoughts are welcome.
4877 Upper Cathedral Lake Twilight_850.jpg
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
I like the way this one worked out Kyle. The sky colors and the satin reflections on the lake water creates a scene I could sit and stare at for quite a while. I hope you have printed this one so lengthy gazes don't lose their color like this scene probably did when you shot it.....
 

Kyle Jones

Moderator
I like the way this one worked out Kyle. The sky colors and the satin reflections on the lake water creates a scene I could sit and stare at for quite a while. I hope you have printed this one so lengthy gazes don't lose their color like this scene probably did when you shot it.....
Thanks Alan - I've definitely printed this one. Just a beautiful evening.

Kyle, this is just gorgeous. You get to some really great places. How hard is this hike?
The hike isn't too bad. 7 miles round trip with about 1000 feet of climbing. The elevation always gets to me a little bit though as the upper lake is at 9500 feet.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
This is awesome Kyle! Upper Catherdral is a location that I fell in love with as a teenager. You really score here with this one!
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
I did a hike like that to the same elevation 3 years ago and it about killed me, and I live at 4,000 feet.
Hey Ben, being able to acclimate sure helps. I was able to spend last weekend at American Basin at 12,000 feet. Each day I was there I could tell the difference. Now today I hiked up to Blue Lakes here in the San Juan’s and did okay with a 35lb pack starting at about 9500 feet to almost 12,000 in 4 miles. I got some great shots but got chased back down the mountain with hail and lightning in the early evening.

Acclimating I think is the key. For Kyle to do a kamikaze run to Upper Cathedral with no acclimating is definitely not a feat for the faint of heart.
 

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
My real problem is that my joints start hurting. I work out a lot but each year gets harder.
 

Jim Dockery

Well-Known Member
Most excellent Kyle - I like the leading lines in the clouds. I love it up there - the climb of Cathedral is one of the easy classics of the Yosemite backcountry, but is often quite crowded. I'd like to return and spend an evening up at this vantage point.
 

Timmeh

Well-Known Member
Really nice Kyle! I especially enjoy the angle of the clouds mirroring the angle of the right side of the lake.

As for mosquitoes, I'm guessing they are out in force. I just came from Ansel Adams Wilderness (with a mosquito net) and my shoulders still look like the core of the Milky Way.

Tim
 

Kyle Jones

Moderator
Really nice Kyle! I especially enjoy the angle of the clouds mirroring the angle of the right side of the lake.

As for mosquitoes, I'm guessing they are out in force. I just came from Ansel Adams Wilderness (with a mosquito net) and my shoulders still look like the core of the Milky Way.

Tim
This wasn't a recent shot - and I was lucky that the mosquitoes weren't too bad. My usually hoody was enough to prevent much of a problem. You are making me nervous about my trip into the grand canyon of the tuolumne next weekend though...
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Kyle, that is beautiful. I’ll be camping for 5 nights in mid August at Tuolumne Meadows. I’m hoping to visit the Cathedral Lakes for the first time. Just hope I can handle the hike. If I understand right, most of the work is going out? Coming back mostly flat to downhill?
 

Kyle Jones

Moderator
Kyle, that is beautiful. I’ll be camping for 5 nights in mid August at Tuolumne Meadows. I’m hoping to visit the Cathedral Lakes for the first time. Just hope I can handle the hike. If I understand right, most of the work is going out? Coming back mostly flat to downhill?
That's correct. Enjoy - I'd love to have 5 nights at Tuolumne!
 
Top Bottom