Thanks Monika. Sometimes my late night process evaluations leave me asking "what were you thinking?" the next morning.I see nothing to regret here, John!
This is sure nice John, work the clouds a bit more perhaps? But yeah, I really like this water lead in.This was shot in the same general vicinity as the one above. This one is looking north, the above photo looking west. The problem with trying to find water to incorporate is that you run into many dead ends where you cannot easily cross or go around the water for a shot. Trying to accomplish this during sunset also poses the potential problem of trying to find your way back in the dark with only a head lamp and no ability to scan the larger area for navigating over and around the water.
![]()
Thanks Jim. I don't think I was actually on a trail the couple of times I tried sunset shots. Being the first time in TM I mainly tried to figure out where I might have a chance to find water and an interesting subject. I got some general advice from a ranger which was helpful, but I mostly tried to look at a map and then just wander. I did some daytime scouting which was when I realized that I'd never find my way out of there after dark and that the water itself was really hard to find until you were almost on top of it. I'll have to look into the app you mentioned.This is sure nice John, work the clouds a bit more perhaps? But yeah, I really like this water lead in.
With navigating, it depends where in Tuolumne Meadows you are, usually you aren't too far from a trail to connect with. But if there is any uncertainity in navigating in the dark, just use a gps app on your phone and let it create the trail as you go in, and you just have to follow the trail on the way out. I use the MotionX-GPS app, and I pretty much always track my way in, especially to new places so even if I don't need it for the way back out, I have it for a safety measure. Even in the day time it's easy to get turned around in the back country, and yeah at night it's even more of an issue. But the GPS app works awesome and is a real time and life saver.
Well I like it tonight and am sure I will like it in the morningAt the risk of posting too late at night and regretting this in the AM, I will offer up this sunset from my recent Yosemite trip.
![]()
Thanks Bob, you have a good eye. ;-)That is a great sunset!