Tunnel View

JohnC

Well-Known Member
I've got quite a few photos from here and don't always even visit on every trip to the park. This was one of those trips where I had not even stopped once in the first 4 days. Conditions weren't that good and I was content to bypass it. But the weather forecast changed causing me to forego my last night of camping (in the rain) allowing me to pack up in nice dry conditions and get a comfy hotel room down the hill while the storm pounded down.

But, as I was packing, the clouds became more ominous. I knew this was going to require a stop at Tunnel View on the way out. While I do have some cloudy shots from there, I've never had one shot at 16mm (24mm FF equivalent) with clouds completely covering the sky. The clouds were moving in and this looked like a chance. I set up my tripod and waited 1 1/2 hours as the clouds continued moving while always leaving gaps. Ultimately, this was the best I could get before crying uncle.The sky is pretty full, even if not quite positioned how I would like. I guess that means I'll be trying again on a future visit. ;-)

Oh, and it did start raining as I rolled out of the parking lot heading down the hill.

 

AlanLichty

Moderator
I'd certainly be happy if that was on my memory card. You have a lot of contrasts in the layers of clouds for some neat drama.

I am normally very much biased towards color but you could make a really neat B&W with this one.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
I'd certainly be happy if that was on my memory card. You have a lot of contrasts in the layers of clouds for some neat drama.

I am normally very much biased towards color but you could make a really neat B&W with this one.
Thanks Alan. I’ve been working on a B&W.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Hey John, it’s pretty good that the conditions changed for you and this photo looks pretty good. For me El Cap, Half Dome, Bridalveil and the clouds feel a tad washed out compared to valley though. I would suggest using a layer mask and darkening those areas a bit adding some contrast to them.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Thanks Jim. It's still a work in progress. I can't ever seem to be happy with a given photo and just leave it alone. ;-)
 

Jim Dockery

Well-Known Member
Too much of an HDR look for me, but like Alan says it has lots of potential as a B&W - look foreword to the conversion.
 
Top Bottom