The summit

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Here is the time lapse I was shooting with the R5 to go with the still image I just posted using the 5DSR.

CC most welcome

Jim Dockery

One of your best Ben, nice composition of a beautiful mountain with dramatic light. Tthe 10 sec. interval seems to have worked much better than I thought and it sure looks longer than 10 min. I didn't care for the zoom and pan though - much to fast for my taste. It also would have worked better for me if you had the exposure on manual so that after the sunset it gets darker. The auto ISO doesn't jive for my old brain with sunsets. The music is very nice.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Hi Jim, guess I did not make myself clear. The 10 second interval was on my other camera and just for capturing raws not for time lapse. This video is with the R5 at 2 second intervals.

I wanted to try the zoom and pan idea here. As far as auto iso, there is no other choice other then with pure manual and it just goes dark in an instant.

JimFox

Staff member
This does look awesome Ben! Very nice work with this.

I think your zoom and pan look great. The speed of them was fine to me, but perhaps its a personal choice. My only thought was when you first zoomed in, don't immediately go to panning. Let the zoomed in view register with the viewers for 5 or 10 secs perhaps before panning.

I have a suggestion for your zooming. When you zoomed in, you had a lot of cloud action on the right side, not the left. So I would have zoomed in to the right side instead. Then stay zoomed in for a bit so the viewer can have a closer view of that cool cloud movement. Then you could pan to the left before zooming back out.

I am glad you clarified your intervals, I had also gotten confused. As a suggestion, if your intent with the 10 second intervals with the 5DSR was simply for you to space out some still shots while the interval was going, then I wouldn't have even mentioned it since it's not in regards to a timelapse. :) So this was a 2 sec interval, good to know. I shot with a 2 sec and a 3 sec interval in Death Valley, and I had to speed up the 2 sec in Movavi to match the 3 sec interval because it felt too slow at 2 secs.

Jim Dockery

I don't understand why that camera goes to black instantly when on manual in TL, but I guess you have to work within the limitations of your equipment.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
This does look awesome Ben! Very nice work with this.

I think your zoom and pan look great. The speed of them was fine to me, but perhaps its a personal choice. My only thought was when you first zoomed in, don't immediately go to panning. Let the zoomed in view register with the viewers for 5 or 10 secs perhaps before panning.

I have a suggestion for your zooming. When you zoomed in, you had a lot of cloud action on the right side, not the left. So I would have zoomed in to the right side instead. Then stay zoomed in for a bit so the viewer can have a closer view of that cool cloud movement. Then you could pan to the left before zooming back out.

I am glad you clarified your intervals, I had also gotten confused. As a suggestion, if your intent with the 10 second intervals with the 5DSR was simply for you to space out some still shots while the interval was going, then I wouldn't have even mentioned it since it's not in regards to a timelapse. :) So this was a 2 sec interval, good to know. I shot with a 2 sec and a 3 sec interval in Death Valley, and I had to speed up the 2 sec in Movavi to match the 3 sec interval because it felt too slow at 2 secs.
Jim, thanks for the suggestions, I have not quite figured out how Movavi zoom and pan controls work. that is you can stretch the time, but I thought the zoom and pan had to connect. My intent when zooming and panning was to emphasize the color and cloud shadows on the hillside but you have a good point. You are right about not mentioning that 10 second TL on the 5DSR, but I thought it was a neat trick that I wanted to share and that was in the landscape forum.

I don't understand why that camera goes to black instantly when on manual in TL, but I guess you have to work within the limitations of your equipment.
An overstatement but it gets dark way faster than I like. I normally shoot with a selection in the camera to expose each shot separately. But that only works if the camera has one of the three exposure controls free to change. There is also an option to set the exposure at the start and never re-expose. Going to all manual settings would do the same. If I start at 1/640 sec, f5.6 Iso 100, the light will not support that setting at least 20 minutes earlier than if I have auto iso and a shutter that can drop to 1/8 second as required.

Nice TL. My only complaint is that the scene seems to go out of focus during the zoom and pan sequence as I watch at full screen 4K.
I also noticed this Alan. I think its a result of Movavi. I suspect I need to do my panning and zooming in camera.

Top Bottom