The Dollhouse in the Maze Canyonlands.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
We spent the 2nd night in Hanksville at Dukes. This way we could drive to Hite the next morning and top off our gas and shave a few miles off our off gas to gas trip. But alas, the pump CC was broken and the store was closed so we had to stretch our gas. We each had (2) 5 gallon jerry cans with us and in the event, I only needed 5 gals, but Rick had a smaller tank and probably needed both cans. I got 10.2 MPG for this trip. 256 miles, about 80 on pavement and maybe 60 on decent dirt roads, the rest very difficult 4WD as you will see in the video.

The third night was at the Dollhouse and is the feature of this video. We drove to Teapot campsite and were there about 11:00AM the next 10 miles took 4 hours. The first 6 miles are in Teapot canyon which the ranger says ties elephant hill as the toughest road in Canyonlands. I believe him.

Please excuse the jerky panning at the start of this video, this was the best of about 6 efforts. Next time I will have a motorized pan head.

In the last sequence showing a drive through a wash near the start of Teapot canyon, you will see a comedy of errors on my part. My rear axle air locker has two switches. One for the air compressor and one to activate the locker. I was turning the compressor on and off thinking I had activated the lockers. As you see, as soon as I got the right switch, I drove right out. I also have a video of Rick driving through this obstacle with no problem. We were coming out in this one, going in I had the lockers on and had no problem.

We chose Dollhouse campsite 1, which is a beautiful setting nestled between two dolls. But I has few photo ops. Next time we will choose campsite 3 for one night and campsite 2 for the second night. That’s right, 1 night is not enough time here.

CC welcome.

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
This is very interesting Ben. It's cool to see the area, and the timelapse sequences look great with the way the light peppers it's way through the scene. And the video at the end of you coming down that drop was fun to watch.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
This is a short video of Rick doing the same place in his FJ cruiser. Makes it look easy, but I would not attempt this road without lockers.

JimFox

Staff member
That's a great video of Rick driving, he even missed the rock ramps built up there. The FJ has no butt on it, so that makes a really huge difference. Ben, it was your trailer hitch that held you up, plus you stopped instead of continuing to drive when your back tires came down, keeping some momentum going could have helped.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
That's a great video of Rick driving, he even missed the rock ramps built up there. The FJ has no butt on it, so that makes a really huge difference. Ben, it was your trailer hitch that held you up, plus you stopped instead of continuing to drive when your back tires came down, keeping some momentum going could have helped.
If you don't slow down the trailer hitch will really bang the rock. It made a good skid plate. That exit was a lot higher than it looks in the video, more like the one I am going down, the wide lens and angle make it look small. Anyway, lockers are the answer.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Interesting place to explore and spend time. I have not visited so it was educational as well.

The sky and clouds have a strange hue. Was it like that or is it a white balance setting issue?

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Interesting place to explore and spend time. I have not visited so it was educational as well.

The sky and clouds have a strange hue. Was it like that or is it a white balance setting issue?
I don't like the WB either and toned down the clouds a lot. I need to change my video settings.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member

I discovered I had WB set to tungsten for video

Jim Dockery

Great photos and fantastic time-lapses Ben, that first is one of your best. Too bad about the video settings in the second - another reason to shoot RAW. The second is too long for such a static shot. If you shot RAW at full res. you would be able to do a slow zoom in that would make it much more interesting. The driving sequence is also too long and static and the wind noise detracts. I would cut out the whole first part and start with the truck entering the scene, then show Rick doing the same, both with voice over explanation instead of ambient noise.

The criticism about length of videos is of course for the typical internet viewer. If your only audience is you and Rick then leave it all in. I almost always make two or three slide shows of a trip: first one for those on the trip (often only viewed by my wife and I), the next one I rename with an "S" for "Short" attached to the name and cut out at least 20% - that would be for people who might have a special interest in the area or activity like ski buddies who weren't there, the last I label "VS" for "Very Short" and try to cut out 50% for general audiences like my mother who is one of my best slide show fans.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Jim, thanks a Lot for the comments, all are well taken.

I can't make a decent time lapse with a raw image set because of exposure fluctuation. It works ok at night with long (20 second shutter speeds) but not in normal light. In camera Time lapse (movie Mode) has exposure smoothing, but time interval raws does not. Believe me, I spent three moths trying to find a solution.

I agree on the length I also fast forward many times. It's hard to know what to leave and what to keep. Your comments help a lot.

Top Bottom