Sunday Strolling

AlanLichty

Moderator
This is an area of the Portland Japanese Garden called The Strolling Garden. The footbridge is an often photographed feature in this area and for a good reason. Its simply spectacular in the fall when the colors explode. This was shot with a Canon 5D MkII during a late October visit in 2010.

PJG-StrollingGarden103110.jpg


C&C always welcome.
 

Trent Watts

Well-Known Member
Exceptional color. I like the composition as well Alan. The water, the bridge, the tree lines make my eyes keep moving to make sure I see everything.
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
Exceptional color. I like the composition as well Alan. The water, the bridge, the tree lines make my eyes keep moving to make sure I see everything.
Thanks Trent - this was one of my first stops every time I visited this garden and especially in the fall. This actually isn't peak color for this scene which is about a week later.
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
😉 Nice comp and color spread. Did you have to fight with other photographers when you took this??😀
Thanks Kurt - I did not have to fight at all. I paid an annual fee to be a photographic member of the gardens and members had a 2 hour visiting window in the morning before the general public was allowed to come in. The photo members were all quite well behaved (at least at the time) and all of us went out of our way to stay out of each other's frame. I was usually looking around for who else was in the immediate area around me so I wasn't unnecessarily intruding on someone else's effort to shoot. Quiet was also the order of the day as there were other non photo oriented garden members who would simply come in to meditate in the silence of the place.

There were exceptions when it came to too many photographers in one place which was when the garden would send out announcements for leaf color changes on a particular Japanese Maple tree that would draw in just about every photo member in the Portland area. I often referred to those occasions as Maple Jams and went out of my way to avoid that location which was about 50' from where I shot this.

All bets were off when the gates opened for the general public at 10:00AM which is when I would fold up my tripod legs and flee.
 

Beth

Well-Known Member
i've seen this footbridge a lot over the years, but it seems like everyone gets one, maybe two good images. you seem to have an entire library full of wonderful and unique views of the gardens. keep them coming!
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
i've seen this footbridge a lot over the years, but it seems like everyone gets one, maybe two good images. you seem to have an entire library full of wonderful and unique views of the gardens. keep them coming!
Thanks Beth - I used to go to this garden complex just about every Sunday for several years while I was still working. The footbridge is named the Moonbridge and I have shot it from just about every angle I could find and in just about every season. You guessed right on my stash of shots from this place - I have a couple thousand images from there.
 
Top Bottom