Sunday Shenanigans

Amy Earl

Hi all,

This thread is for posting photos that are outside your norm. Use it as an opportunity to experiment, have fun, tell a story, or all three. Pick something from your archives and try a new processing technique, or go out and shoot something new in terms of subject matter or mood.

Try one of these ideas as a guideline:
  • If you normally shoot landscapes, post an abstract, portrait, industrial subject, architecture, etc.
  • Try an unusual processing technique with one of your photos (like Lets Play).
  • Try to mimic the artistic style of another photographer you like.
  • Post something you captured on the way to your shooting destination, rather than the destination photo itself.
  • Post a photo that shows another side of your character. It could be a documentary photo of another hobby or interest, for example, or a portrait of a pet, family member, etc.
  • Post a photo that has a story behind it. (Include the story!)
Explaining your process or including the backstory is appreciated!

Humor and whimsy are welcome too 😉

Have fun.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
My other hobby is landscaping and gardening. Actually I have cut back a lot after moving to Utah from Spokane, partly because old age has reduced my strength. This is from Spokane in 2004 and up but I started landscaping when I moved into a new home in 1990. I did all of this with a shovel, a wheelbarrow and my own two hands.

99886018.0YDzJl5v.080701_mk3_6427a.jpg

98135566.QNurC2cV.080531_mk3_5969.jpg

114145980.Ukodn2o0.090622_mk3_5766.jpg

99589059.27WzKV6v.080701mk36453.jpg

Attachments

AlanLichty

Once upon a time I was quite active in track driving with some of the NW area car clubs. My first car that spent time doing laps was a 2001 Audi S4. These images are from an early event I participated in at Portland International Raceway.

Paddock area - my silver S4 is in the foreground cooling off after a lapping session:

SS-1-1.jpg

There was almost always someone with a bit more packet change than most of us who would come out to play:

SS-1-2.jpg

This is not a replica. When Ford stopped making the Cobra Shelby stashed away an inventory of cars bodies and another stash of the engines. These were sold as parts in the 90's as "car kits" so they didn't have to pass any modern safety standards. The gentleman who owned this specimen bought the car body and 427 engine from Shelby and had it assembled in Portland.

SS-1-3.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I was at Riverside Raceway for a Grand Prix in 1962 or 63 and Shellby was there with his first AC Cobras. I believe these had the 289 Mustang engine.

AlanLichty

I was at Riverside Raceway for a Grand Prix in 1962 or 63 and Shellby was there with his first AC Cobras. I believe these had the 289 Mustang engine.
I think one of those would be more fun to drive than the 427 version. The 427's are overpowered for the weight of the car and even professional racers had trouble keeping them on the track. Dan Gurney was one of the only drivers who could really handle one of these.

Amy Earl

I don't normally do wildlife so 200mm lens in hand went hunting for the pair of small frogs that live in and around an old tree stump in our garden. Ken View attachment 30502View attachment 30503
Those are great, Ken! I love how sharp the frog's eyes are and that piece of algae on his head.
My other hobby is landscaping and gardening. Actually I have cut back a lot after moving to Utah from Spokane, partly because old age has reduced my strength. This is from Spokane in 2004 and up but I started landscaping when I moved into a new home in 1990. I did all of this with a shovel, a wheelbarrow and my own two hands.

View attachment 30533

View attachment 30534

View attachment 30535

View attachment 30536
That is a really beautiful garden, Ben, wow! I can only imagine how many hours you spend in there enjoying the fruits of your labor. I love gardening too. What are those delicate pink flowering shrubs?
Once upon a time I was quite active in track driving with some of the NW area car clubs. My first car that spent time doing laps was a 2001 Audi S4. These images are from an early event I participated in at Portland International Raceway.

Paddock area - my silver S4 is in the foreground cooling off after a lapping session:

View attachment 30537

There was almost always someone with a bit more packet change than most of us who would come out to play:

View attachment 30538

This is not a replica. When Ford stopped making the Cobra Shelby stashed away an inventory of cars bodies and another stash of the engines. These were sold as parts in the 90's as "car kits" so they didn't have to pass any modern safety standards. The gentleman who owned this specimen bought the car body and 427 engine from Shelby and had it assembled in Portland.

View attachment 30539
What a cool story and photos! What year is the Cobra? Nice car.

AlanLichty

What a cool story and photos! What year is the Cobra? Nice car.
This the car body and the engine for this particular specimen were originally produced in 1965. This engine was mated to this car body in the late 90's by the guy in the red suit standing in the background. I don't believe that this vehicle is street legal and it came to the track on the trailer behind the car.

Another view of the Cobra:

SS-1-4.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
That is a really beautiful garden, Ben, wow! I can only imagine how many hours you spend in there enjoying the fruits of your labor. I love gardening too. What are those delicate pink flowering shrubs?

All the flowers you see here are either roses or Rhododendrons. It was a lot of work and a lot of pleasure.

Top Bottom