Star ballet

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Last night I went up as far as I could in American fork canyon to work on star time lapse videos. The place ends up being full of cars so lots of headlights intruding on my image. It was also a full moon so it washed out the stars. But I wanted to see if I could do this with my 5DSR which is the only other camera I have beside the R5 and eoms which is not a candidate. I want to use the R5 for milky way imaging at night so time lapse will fall to the 5DSR.

This is 875 shots using a locked shutter at ISO 800 4 seconds, f2.8 and 24mm. I shot in a small jpg setting to conserve memory (still more res than 4K) I batch processed them in ACR and then rendered them first in PS followed by addition of titles and music in Movavi.

Hard to tell with the headlight pollution, but I think I have some flickering going on.

cc welcome

AlanLichty

The full moon obscures a lot of the stars in the scene. Most of the flickering I could see was from the car headlights and taillights.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Ben,

You have the basics here it looks like. it was a good practice run, and I liked the little bit of clouds coming in.

How did you like the result?

You can still use your R5 to shoot as your main for the Milky Way and then use it's photos for the timelapse. Even when I wasn't doing timelapses, I would still set up my main camera to shoot the Milky Way or stars and then lock in the remote release and just let it take photo after photo. I probably could go back to almost all of my night images and turn them into timelapses if I wanted to since each night I had hours of night time sequences shot.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks Ben! I forgot to mention about your cameo.
The full moon obscures a lot of the stars in the scene. Most of the flickering I could see was from the car headlights and taillights.
Thanks Alan I have been waiting for clear sky’s and this was the first one I could schedule.

Hey Ben,

You have the basics here it looks like. it was a good practice run, and I liked the little bit of clouds coming in.

How did you like the result?

You can still use your R5 to shoot as your main for the Milky Way and then use it's photos for the timelapse. Even when I wasn't doing timelapses, I would still set up my main camera to shoot the Milky Way or stars and then lock in the remote release and just let it take photo after photo. I probably could go back to almost all of my night images and turn them into timelapses if I wanted to since each night I had hours of night time sequences shot.
Yes I could if I was willing to shoot raw but I am not going to do that. 865 small jpgs were a drag. Had I shot at 15-20 seconds and 3000 images it would take forever to shoot and process. Doing this exercise has me thinking that it will need to be a really special scene to do a proper TL. I also took a few rows with my R5 using the 14 f2.4. I was not happy with the focus.
Overall I was satisfied with the 5DSR results, but I really wanted to use ISO 1600 but it was too bright

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
This looks much better in 4K. You Tube has not finished processing the 4K or even the HD version.

Top Bottom