Skyline Overlook, Utah - May 29th to May 31st 2020 - View new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimFox

Staff member
Ben and I are meeting up at the Skyline Overlook in Utah on May 29th for a few days barring any Coronavirus issues or delays.

Our exact locations will be based on the weather at that time, but here is our basic plans.

Sunset at Skyline Overlook with night photography
Sunrise at Factory Butte with wildflowers hopefully
Sunset to Sunrise at Temple of the Sun and Moon with the Milky Way at night
Last Sunset/Sunrise flexible

If you are interested, please reply here.

Be aware that our night time plans totally depend on what the sky looks like, it needs to be at least partially clear. For the rest if it gets too cloudy, we can switch to B&W mode and go for moody photos! :)

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I just got back from there and am rearing to return. I will show you guys where to see "The Nib"

Jeffrey

Well, I've been looking at my calendar this week for a time slot to hang around that area in a week or so from now. Don't know if I'll wait until the end of the month. Could be a lot hotter then. There are a lot of areas I still want to explore and fly over nearby.

JimFox

Staff member
Well, I've been looking at my calendar this week for a time slot to hang around that area in a week or so from now. Don't know if I'll wait until the end of the month. Could be a lot hotter then. There are a lot of areas I still want to explore and fly over nearby.
We were initially going to match last years dates which would have been the first week in June. We are shaving a week off it because of the moon, so maybe it will be a degree or two cooler? :)

If you are going sooner, it would still be awesome if we can overlap a bit, even for a day.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
I am interested. Ben, what are the lodging options there? Camping or motels in Hanksville. It will drive from SLC from me so it will be a rental vehicle.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Dukes slick rock inn. I fill my truck and sleep in the back or I would invite you to ride with me

Jeffrey

I thought we could compromise a bit on the dates, but I see the moon and Ben's obligation may prevent that. I could do the 29th and more, and spend a few days before in the Escalante on the way up.

JimFox

Staff member
I am interested. Ben, what are the lodging options there? Camping or motels in Hanksville. It will drive from SLC from me so it will be a rental vehicle.
There is a couple of motels in Hanksville, and they are good. But I would think with the late nights, just bring a sleeping bag along and rent an SUV. Any vehicle can get to Skyline Overlook, but when we go to Factory Butte, that's were you can ride with one of us, as you would not really want to take a stock SUV back there.

JimFox

Staff member
I thought we could compromise a bit on the dates, but I see the moon and Ben's obligation may prevent that. I could do the 29th and more, and spend a few days before in the Escalante on the way up.
That would sure be great Jeffrey!

Alisa

Well, I will be there but probably miss sunset... as I have to be flexible with work.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I just spoke with Rick Knepper who is there now. He is staying at Dukes Slick Rock Inn which he says is a really nice place. The restaurant is not open for dinner, only breakfast. We need a different meeting location. If everyone knows how to get to Skyline, I suggest that, otherwise maybe the BLM office in Hanksville.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
If anyone needs to get dinner ( I can furnish all my meals) Stan's is a good fast food place.

They are open for indoor meals after ordering at the counter and with spaced seating. Did not see many masks when I was there *customers that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom