Yeah, the scattered leaves are one of my favorites too. Oddly enough, I found a few more small waterfalls over the time I was there, but the had absolutely no color to be found around them. But I shot them anyway.Nice view of the creek - I like the scattered leaves along the banks ad the backlit trees.
Your observations on the lighting are dead on the money - backlighting is everything with fall shots in the deep woods. Front and side lighting without cloud cover ends up with washed out colors. I did a bit of brush busting today to get some conditions like that because everything else looked totally mundane.Yeah, the scattered leaves are one of my favorites too. Oddly enough, I found a few more small waterfalls over the time I was there, but the had absolutely no color to be found around them. But I shot them anyway.
I find it interesting when shooting fall colors how much back or side lighting can make an image. Front light is generally less than interesting. back and side light can make old dying leaves look truly spectacular.