M20 - Trifid Nebula

JimFox

Staff member
The Trifid Nebula is one of my favorites as I like the 2 tone colors in it. During the processing I removed the stars with StarXterminator as I really wanted to see the details. I am so enjoying the new ASI2600mc Pro camera, though it is only a 26mp crop sensor, I get so much more detail then I did with the 46mp Nikon D850.

From Wikipedia: The Trifid Nebula (catalogued as Messier 20 or M20 and as NGC 6514) is an H II region in the north-west of Sagittarius in a star-forming region in the Milky Way's Scutum-Centaurus Arm.[3] It was discovered by Charles Messier on June 5, 1764.[4] Its name means 'three-lobe'. The object is an unusual combination of an open cluster of stars, an emission nebula (the relatively dense, reddish-pink portion), a reflection nebula (the mainly NNE blue portion), and a dark nebula (the apparent 'gaps' in the former that cause the trifurcated appearance, also designated Barnard 85). Viewed through a small telescope, the Trifid Nebula is a bright and peculiar object, and is thus a perennial favorite of amateur astronomers.[5]

Gem28
ASI2600mc Pro
Tamron 150-600mm @600mm
35 - Lights @ 120 secs
10 - Dark Frames
30 - Flat Frames
Stacked in DeepSkyStacker
Processed in Photoshop

All comments are welcome,

Jim

M20_Trifid_20220602x_d2w.jpg

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Jim,

This looks great - really like the smooth low noise results and the colors seem to be spot on for sure. Do you have a version that includes the stars? I think that would warrant an addition to this post, or perhaps even a GIF animation showing the starry version fading into the starless version. In any case, great work on the capture and the post processing on this one!

ML

Top Bottom