Keeping Our Lights On + Edits

Jeffrey

That's nice, Amy. I'd remove the bright sky completely and tone down that bright road to the right. Great toning here.

JimFox

Staff member
This is perfect timing Amy! Love the look and feel of this. Maybe one of the best train shots we have seen here.

I agree with Jeffrey about toning down that road on the right side. The bright sky I think I like, so if you have time and are inclined, maybe tone down that road first before cropping the sky and see how that looks.

Amy Nelson

That's nice, Amy. I'd remove the bright sky completely and tone down that bright road to the right. Great toning here.
This is perfect timing Amy! Love the look and feel of this. Maybe one of the best train shots we have seen here.

I agree with Jeffrey about toning down that road on the right side. The bright sky I think I like, so if you have time and are inclined, maybe tone down that road first before cropping the sky and see how that looks.
Thanks very much for your input. At first you guys had me stumped on toning down the road, then I realized you were talking about the open irrigation ditch. I was able to tone it down some, but where the water meets the cement causes a light refraction, the same value as a blow out in clouds so I couldn't do much with that. (unless you have some suggestion). I tried using a Level, inverting the mask and painting over the line but that didn't even touch it. I'm including one cropped without the sky and the other with no crop. I think the one with the sky helps offset the white line at the irrigation ditch.

Cropped Version:
Vintage-Coal-Train---MOD2.jpg

No Crop:
Vintage-Coal-Train---MOD.jpg

AlanLichty

I do like the sky crop. I like what you did with the ditch - this tames the water reflection quite a bit. You could use the clone stamp tool with some careful source selections to repurpose some pixels to remove the last bit of reflection but that could be some tedious editing.

JimFox

Staff member
I like the crop of the sky too. :)

The irrigation ditch still looks like a road.... :rolleyes: It looks a lot better toned down. As for the reflection line in it, just use a layer mask, use Color Range and select in the reflection, it will also select the train headlight, so you can either remove the headlight from the selection or make a 2nd layer mask that is just isolated around the irrigation ditch. Either way make a layer mask then from your Color Range selection, then pull up Levels and adjust the whites, darken the whites a bit and the reflection will disappear. It's also a handy trick to deal with blown out clouds if they aren't too badly blown.

Top Bottom