Iao Needle

Kyle Jones

Iao Needle State Monument is an iconic location on the Western side of Maui. It is also one of the wettest places on Earth which can make it challenging to get a good view.

I made my way there at sunset and was rewarded with some pretty nice conditions. The portrait composition is what really caught my eye, but I'll show a landscape as well.

As always, any thoughts are welcome.

2832 Iao Needle Portrait_850.jpg

2837 Iao Needle Landscape_850.jpg

AlanLichty

Distinctly lush looking - my favorite kind of scene. For me the portrait orientation is the one that stands out too - the plants down in front and the clouds are a tasty combination.

JimFox

Staff member
Super cool Kyle, I guess my knowledge of Hawaii is not that good as I don't recall hearing about this, but it's one super cool subject. Was it easy to get to?

I like the vertical shot the best.

Kyle Jones

Super cool Kyle, I guess my knowledge of Hawaii is not that good as I don't recall hearing about this, but it's one super cool subject. Was it easy to get to?

I like the vertical shot the best.
Short drive from Kahului and a half mile walk on a paved trail. The only thing that makes it a challenge is that it isn't close to the popular tourist beaches.

MonikaC

Portrait version for me, too, Kyle. Good job on finding the right composition. (and avoiding all the tourists in the shot)

Amy Nelson

Kyle, these are extremely gorgeous images....I mean WOW! And it's so nice to see green when everything here is so brown...thank you!

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Wow - great images! Maybe because I struggle to shoot in portrait mode, but for me it is a much closer race between the 2 orientations. I really love them both. Super color and comp in both images that's for sure. DFP material for certain!

ML

Top Bottom