Half Dome NW Face Pano

Jim Dockery

Well-Known Member
Thanks Ben. Our 3 day climb in hot weather back in 74 pushed me to the limit. We climbed slow, having an especially hard time hauling our poorly made bag up behind us, and spent a night hanging in slings just below a beautiful comfortable ledge where most people camp. Out of water and edible food on the third day we were both hallucinating on the summit where we were forced to make another bivy. I didn't do another climb like that for a year, but learned a lot, and didn't repeat those mistakes!
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
The learning process on those climbs can have very bad consequences, I am glad you lived and learned through it. :)

I love this angle on Half Dome, it's a really sweet view indeed.
 

Jeffrey

Well-Known Member
Fabulous texture and BW work Jim. I never knew climbers went right up the face. That would seriously kick my ass, too.
 

Jim Dockery

Well-Known Member
Thanks for the feature Jim!

I've always thought I should write up an account of our climb - to this day one of the hardest things I've done, but mostly because of inexperience and mistakes. I remember trying to get a headlamp out of the haul bag in the dark when we were trying to make the bivy ledge. The first headlamps back in those days used a huge 6 volt battery you wore on your belt with a wire up to your head. The battery had burst with all the rough bouncing of the bag and the acid got on my sore scratched up hands. It took a minute for me to understand what was happening, then I threw the damn thing off the wall. Luckily there weren't any climbers below us!

Half Dome.jpg

Here I'm lowering my partner to do a pendulum on the second day. We only took a few pictures.
 

Jim Sanderson

Well-Known Member
If you were to rotate the photo vertically about 90 degrees backwards I would be “inclined” to make the trip myself. Nice one.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Very nice Jim. It reminds me a lot of Ansel Adams, Monolith the Face of Half Dome. For Adams that was the first photo he ever visualized before shooting and is considered one of his most iconic.
 

Jim Dockery

Well-Known Member
Thanks John, that is one of my favorite photos of all time and part of the inspiration to do that climb (and get this shot).
 
Top Bottom