GNP - Day 1

Bob Israel

Well-Known Member
We started our backpacking at Lake Bowman. We went through Polebridge and stopped for Danish (a tradition) but being lunch time, we opted for the meatball/cheese sandwich which I highly recommend. We at our lunch at the shore of Lake Bowman. The slight haze and glassy waters made for a very serene and calming experience.

This day's hike would be an easy flat 7 miles to the Bowman Head Campground, basically a hike the entire length of Lake Bowman. The campsite was empty when we arrived but eventually we had one other couple at the campsite. Otherwise, we didn't see a person on the trail. The campsite included a stream running right next to us so it was a great opportunity for some cascading rapids using my modified Peak Design tripod where the leg sections were removed creating an 18" tripod that could be extended to about 2' tall.

RJI02853-Pano-Edit-Edit.jpg

Bowman Lake Pano

RJI02862-Edit-Edit.jpg

Bowman Lake

RJI02876-Edit.jpg

Hiking along Bowman Lake, this composition interested me.

RJI02883-Edit-Edit.jpg

The creek next to Bowman Head Campground

RJI02896-Edit.jpg


RJI02892-Edit.jpg


RJI02901-Edit.jpg

A view toward things to come!

RJI02907-Edit.jpg

My son, Kevin enjoying the view.
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
Stunning scenery. I love the last of the creek shots with the neat GNP purple rocks on display in the foreground and the nice rapids.

I have to confess I have never wandered farther than I could go on day hikes in GNP.
 

Bob Israel

Well-Known Member
Stunning scenery. I love the last of the creek shots with the neat GNP purple rocks on display in the foreground and the nice rapids.

I have to confess I have never wandered farther than I could go on day hikes in GNP.
Thank you Alan! Yeah, the water was so so clear. While we always filtered our water, it certainly looks quite drinkable straight from the stream.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Hey Bob, I finally got back to the photos. #2, 4 and 6 are my favorites with #6 being my favorite.

You sure got some really nice images there for sure!
 
We started our backpacking at Lake Bowman. We went through Polebridge and stopped for Danish (a tradition) but being lunch time, we opted for the meatball/cheese sandwich which I highly recommend. We at our lunch at the shore of Lake Bowman. The slight haze and glassy waters made for a very serene and calming experience.

This day's hike would be an easy flat 7 miles to the Bowman Head Campground, basically a hike the entire length of Lake Bowman. The campsite was empty when we arrived but eventually we had one other couple at the campsite. Otherwise, we didn't see a person on the trail. The campsite included a stream running right next to us so it was a great opportunity for some cascading rapids using my modified Peak Design tripod where the leg sections were removed creating an 18" tripod that could be extended to about 2' tall.

View attachment 52474
Bowman Lake Pano

View attachment 52478
Bowman Lake

View attachment 52477
Hiking along Bowman Lake, this composition interested me.

View attachment 52476
The creek next to Bowman Head Campground

View attachment 52475

View attachment 52473

View attachment 52472
A view toward things to come!

View attachment 52471
My son, Kevin enjoying the view.
Bob, the 2nd photo of Bowman lake is beautiful.

Oliver
 

Bob Israel

Well-Known Member
Hey Bob, I finally got back to the photos. #2, 4 and 6 are my favorites with #6 being my favorite.

You sure got some really nice images there for sure!
Thanks Jim! I haven't decided my favorite from this set but glad you like them!
 

Bob Israel

Well-Known Member
Thanks Kyle. It's a great area and seems to be visited by only a few. I realize it was after Labor Day but we hardly saw anyone on the trails or in the campsites.
 
Top Bottom