Friday's Focus - 2020/09/04 - Antelope Canyon

Kyle Jones

The focus for this week is Antelope Canyon. Please go ahead and share some of your sandstone beauties! I'll expect to see many similar compositions but I always enjoy seeing different takes on the same scene. Here are a few to get us started:

1) Upper Antelope
5668 Sunset at Monument_850.jpg

2) The Candlestick in Upper Antelope
5644 Candlestick_850.jpg

3) Face in the Slot - Lower Antelope
5559 Face in The Slot_850.jpg

Beautiful images so far everybody. Here are three from Lower Antelope Canyon.

This one shows the gradation of color from brighter light to shadowed light. I was amazed when I saw the film because I didn't see these colors with the naked eye.
Lower Antelope Canyon light (1 of 1).jpg

I saw this image but the light was wrong so I came back the next day at an earlier time and waited until it was illuminated.
tumbeweed canyon I.jpg

This one has a hole within an arch.
double hole.jpg

dan swiger

Beautiful images so far everybody. Here are three from Lower Antelope Canyon.

This one shows the gradation of color from brighter light to shadowed light. I was amazed when I saw the film because I didn't see these colors with the naked eye.
View attachment 31862

I saw this image but the light was wrong so I came back the next day at an earlier time and waited until it was illuminated.
View attachment 31863

This one has a hole within an arch.
View attachment 31864
Doug, nice set. I noticed you mentioned film, Was it Velvia?

Jeffrey

From 2016, 1st & only visit. MF on Velvia
Dan I'm impressed with your film results. Velvia would have been the last choice of film type I would have made to shoot that place. The shortest DR film in a place that has the highest DR!

Jim Dockery

Has anyone been there in the last year or two? I've heard it's more crowded, which would keep me from returning, and make me thankful for my quiet visit at the end of the day 8 years ago.

I'm very impressed with the film results Dan & Doug got!

Kyle Jones

I went last year but didn't go in. No tripods are allowed and that kills it for me.

Has anyone been there in the last year or two? I've heard it's more crowded, which would keep me from returning, and make me thankful for my quiet visit at the end of the day 8 years ago.

I'm very impressed with the film results Dan & Doug got!

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
We were there in 2018, and took a special photrographer's tour in order to use a serious camera and a tripod. They actually had to usher huge crowds of people out of our way while we were shooting (which is why that tour costs 2x the regular one.) I thought I had read somewhere that the upper canyon tours finally got suspended because it was just too crowded. Not sure about that or about the lower canyon access. I am sure glad we got to go when we did. It is a cool place but just too many people.

I guess there are some lesser known areas that are not too far away that have a somewhat similar feel and are not overly commercialized like Antelop Canyon has turned out to be.

ML

Top Bottom