Fall Color Meetup - 2019

JimFox

Staff member
While I have still been up to my ankles in wildflowers :) it seems that many of you are getting antsy for Fall Colors already. :rolleyes:

So... Let's use this thread to help coordinate Fall Color Activities. I know quite a few of us have already made verbal plans to get together and shoot.

If you have plans, post them here, or interests post them here. Once we get closer and we see where the various area meetups will happen we can break off and start Individual Threads for each area.

Jim

JimFox

Staff member
The first place I know of is a Colorado Meetup.

I will be there, and I know Ben will be there, and I think Amy might be able to also?

The exact dates are still unknown, basically it's the last week of Sept into the first week of Oct for Colorado Color in general.

We will center around SW Colorado. Which means Telluride, Ridgway and Ouray. Though there are of course options like going up to Maroon Bells and such. If anyone flies in, there are lot's of great passes with lots of fall colors one can drive over on the way to SW Colorado.

I currently have some Private Workshops scheduled for that time, but the clients are flexible to wait for the best fall color. So I will work around with that timing and when we get to meet as a group.

AlanLichty

Not sure I am going to be doing any marathon driving this fall at the moment. My current plans are to stay within a one day drive from Vancouver in any given direction. 6-7 hour driving days are not fun at all for me anymore and I can't really grip a camera with my right hand after a day of driving like that. I have no shortage of target locations to shoot within a day of Vancouver.

I'd like to start my fall out along the coast in a couple of weeks but I have been having knee problems over the last few weeks. I just had an MRI scan Thursday and have an appointment on Tuesday to find out what the prognosis is. Right now I can't run/walk/hike at all.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I am holding the last week of Sept and first week of Oct open for Colorado. I will only be able to do one of those weeks, not both. I suppose I can camp at that time, how cold does it get? Where do you camp? I am thinking Ridgeway as a hub but I am open.

JimFox

Staff member
Not sure I am going to be doing any marathon driving this fall at the moment. My current plans are to stay within a one day drive from Vancouver in any given direction. 6-7 hour driving days are not fun at all for me anymore and I can't really grip a camera with my right hand after a day of driving like that. I have no shortage of target locations to shoot within a day of Vancouver.

I'd like to start my fall out along the coast in a couple of weeks but I have been having knee problems over the last few weeks. I just had an MRI scan Thursday and have an appointment on Tuesday to find out what the prognosis is. Right now I can't run/walk/hike at all.
OH man, that’s a pain! Knee issues usually don’t end u good.

If I didn’t have commitments I would come up there drive for you. Then you could sit back and relax and be ready to shoot when we got to Colorado!

JimFox

Staff member
I am holding the last week of Sept and first week of Oct open for Colorado. I will only be able to do one of those weeks, not both. I suppose I can camp at that time, how cold does it get? Where do you camp? I am thinking Ridgeway as a hub but I am open.
Hey Ben, one week would be great. As to what week will depend on where you want to shoot. Are you going to want to shoot Maroon Bells? If so the peak color is typically from Sept 24 to 26. Of course the color will still stretch on for a few more days. So you could go there on the 26th, then come down to Ridgway.

If you aren’t going to do Maroon Bells, then just getting to Ridgway on Oct 1st is fine.

Keep in mind that any dates this early is merely speculation. We should be hearing credible reports in the next few weeks for predictions.

I just camp in my Jeep. I can help you with places to stay in your truck for free. There are lots of areas to sleep and there are lots of National Forest spots to camp out in.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Hey Jim, I suspect this year fall will be on the late side, so maybe the first week of Oct is a good bet. I would be happy just to see the good spots around Ridgeway.

Jeffrey

My idea is to be along rt 12 on Boulder Mountain, between Boulder and Torrey, Utah. I've driven through there numerous times but never in fall or winter. Not a plan yet. I just love it there. Maybe jet over to CO to meet up.

Last edited:

BarryHamilton

Founding Member
I'm planning on shooting somewhere out west between the 10th and 16th of Oct, as I'll be going to my graduating class' 50th reunion the weekend of the 18th and 19th in Bakersfield.
I'd welcome any suggestions for fall color during that time. I'm thinking, so far, of Sedona and/or the Owens Valley.

JohnC

I have reservations at the June Lake Motel for October 6-10. If anybody plans to be in the area, drop me note.

Travis Rhoads

For anyone East Coast or South East...I will be shooting the Elk Rut the last weekend of September in the Smokies, and then coming back in the end of October for fall color.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Jim, I suspect this year fall will be on the late side, so maybe the first week of Oct is a good bet. I would be happy just to see the good spots around Ridgeway.
If you don’t care about Maroon Bells, the first week of Oct would be great.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
If you don’t care about Maroon Bells, the first week of Oct would be great.
Nah, I can skip the Bells, if you give me a date and place around Sept 30th, I will be there. It's a 6 hour drive, maybe add another hour for stops. So late afternoon.

JimFox

Staff member
Nah, I can skip the Bells, if you give me a date and place around Sept 30th, I will be there. It's a 6 hour drive, maybe add another hour for stops. So late afternoon.
Just plan on meeting in Ridgway, we can go from there. Will this be your first time shooting fall colors there?

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Just plan on meeting in Ridgway, we can go from there. Will this be your first time shooting fall colors there?
I was there about four years ago with my wife. I had a sedan and was limited where I could go. This time I will have my truck which can go almost anywhere

Top Bottom