El Capitan, Yosemite NP

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Although this may look similar to the B&W I posted, there is an obvious difference. This was shot last year, the next morning after the B&W and after a night of rain. So it is a bit of a clearing storm if you will. While there were some early low clouds around the valley that morning, these clouds we gone minutes after I shot them. While I did get a few other captures, this one, by far, was the best. The lighting was terrific and clouds were strong enough to have a presence while not totally dominating the image.

Proof of the old adage, "Id rather be lucky than good". :D


 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Hey John, I am just running out the door to head down to the beach, but I wanted to say this is really cool. I love the low mist fog behind the trees from the moisture in the ground, and that one single cloud above El Cap is really sweet. My only thought is you could pull back just a hair on a couple of highlight area's that are blown on the top of El Cap. It's a small nit on a totally great photo, but it's a little thing that usually jumps out to me.

What do you edit your photos with. I can share a couple of tips on how to make those highlights gain some detail and blend in with the rest of the rock face.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Hey John, I am just running out the door to head down to the beach, but I wanted to say this is really cool. I love the low mist fog behind the trees from the moisture in the ground, and that one single cloud above El Cap is really sweet. My only thought is you could pull back just a hair on a couple of highlight area's that are blown on the top of El Cap. It's a small nit on a totally great photo, but it's a little thing that usually jumps out to me.

What do you edit your photos with. I can share a couple of tips on how to make those highlights gain some detail and blend in with the rest of the rock face.
I actually toned down a few hot spots on the top of El Cap. Technically I don't think any are blown even though detail would be hard to find.

Out of laziness I am still using my perpetual license Lightroom 6. I own ON1 2018 RAW and need to learn it. Currently I use it for effects only.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
I actually toned down a few hot spots on the top of El Cap. Technically I don't think any are blown even though detail would be hard to find.

Out of laziness I am still using my perpetual license Lightroom 6. I own ON1 2018 RAW and need to learn it. Currently I use it for effects only.
Hey John, I still am using my old Photoshop CS6. I will try to hold out against the cloud versions for as long as I can. :confused:

Yeah, the couple of areas that are a bit brighter then the rest are not bad at all, as the photo is excellent. I just have a little thing for hot rocks... :)
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Hey John, I still am using my old Photoshop CS6. I will try to hold out against the cloud versions for as long as I can. :confused:

Yeah, the couple of areas that are a bit brighter then the rest are not bad at all, as the photo is excellent. I just have a little thing for hot rocks... :)
I refuse to rent my software. My world will do just fine without Adobe.
 

Alisa

Well-Known Member
Although this may look similar to the B&W I posted, there is an obvious difference. This was shot last year, the next morning after the B&W and after a night of rain. So it is a bit of a clearing storm if you will. While there were some early low clouds around the valley that morning, these clouds we gone minutes after I shot them. While I did get a few other captures, this one, by far, was the best. The lighting was terrific and clouds were strong enough to have a presence while not totally dominating the image.

Proof of the old adage, "Id rather be lucky than good". :D


This is beautiful with the low clouds.
 
What an absolutely beautiful image, John. I agree with Jim that you could tone down the highlights just a tad. It's already a 10 but that would make it a 12.
 

Joe Colozzo

Well-Known Member
Better lucky then good is my motto! Lol
I love this photo, so many elements come together just right. Kudos to you for this wonderful capture.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Thanks all. The clouds were a nice bonus although I'll take some credit for knowing where to look for them. :)
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Hey John, I am still enjoying this image of yours. I sure really like those lower clouds in this. Such a peaceful image that is worth a 2nd and 3rd look. :)
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Hey John, I am still enjoying this image of yours. I sure really like those lower clouds in this. Such a peaceful image that is worth a 2nd and 3rd look. :)
Thanks Jim. I entered it in the fair as well.
 
Top Bottom