Dogwoods

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Looking very nice indeed John! What a great start. I am actually considering running up there on Mon or Tues to catch the Dogwoods before it’s too late.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Nice job with the light and details in this scene. Is this a focus/exposure stack?
Thanks Alan. No stacking involved. But it was shot with the tiny sensor of an iPhone Xs.

Phones have made huge steps forward and even though they won't yet replace a DSLR, their strengths really benefit landscape shots where you want a lot of depth of field. I use a camera app that lets me capture the RAW file. Although you can process the photos on the phone I always download them to my desktop at home and am currently processing them with ON1.

The Xs has two cameras on the back, each with their own lens. One a 26mm FF equivalent and the other a 52mm FF equivalent lens. Those are amazingly handy for landscape photos, especially places where you can't get a tripod in. I now use the phone in addition to my Nikon D7100. On more than one occasion I've preferred the phone results over the Nikon. Not to mention the great quality videos they take.

No, I don't work for Apple or any tech company. I'm just really excited at the quality of a 6 ounce camera that includes two prime lenses, the ability to shoot RAW, and fits in your pocket. (I guess that's what happens when you only buy a new phone every 4 years. LoL!)
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
The best camera is the one you have with you!
That's true, but I don't view my phone as a last resort camera anymore. The built in VR in my camera app lets me get shots I couldn't get with my Nikon due to awkward positions where you can't get a tripod and where you couldn't hold your DSLR still enough due to body contortions.
 
Top Bottom