Composing Decomposition

AlanLichty

I love small scenes in the deep woods during the wet season. This small scene is one of the reasons why. The total opposite of what I grew up seeing in the desert are the fungi colonies that rule over the coastal forests during the rainy season. This scene is about 5" across as a frame of reference.

C&C always welcome.

JimFox

Staff member
I have to agree, great detail here Alan! I am too used to seeing wide, so these small scenes usually escape me.

AlanLichty

Thanks for the comments. I should have mentioned that this was a hand held shot. I was surprised at how well the focus worked here. I used auto-ISO to keep a good f/stop and shutter speed for hand held which ended up being ISO1000.

I have to agree, great detail here Alan! I am too used to seeing wide, so these small scenes usually escape me.
You really wouldn't have this problem at all in the woods - there's nothing to shoot wide :D

Amy Earl

Fascinating! You have an eye for details.

Being an occasional aspiring mycologist, my attention is drawn to the brown funnel-shaped fungus and its varicolored rings which are quite pretty (it's most likely a Stereum species called False Turkey Tail). But also, the white stuff covering everything seems to be a different fungus, possibly a mold, and the yellow stuff (upper right) looks like possibly a third!

AlanLichty

Fascinating! You have an eye for details.

Being an occasional aspiring mycologist, my attention is drawn to the brown funnel-shaped fungus and its varicolored rings which are quite pretty (it's most likely a Stereum species called False Turkey Tail). But also, the white stuff covering everything seems to be a different fungus, possibly a mold, and the yellow stuff (upper right) looks like possibly a third!
Interesting ID of the species here - the ascription of false turkey tail seems quite fitting since that's what they look a lot like. In the dark damp conditions of the coastal rain forests there are actually quite a few more different looking fungi as well.

Top Bottom