Clearing Storm at Cathedral Lakes + Edit

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
The weather lately in the Eastern Sierra has mostly been clear blue skies like most of Southern California. But I diligently watch the weather, and saw that in the upper Eastern Sierra by Mammoth on Tuesday had gone from 20% afternoon thunderstorms up to 40% and then decreasing on towards sunset and into the night. So I tossed my backpack into my jeep and drove up Tuesday morning. I was fortunate with it being the day after Labor Day as when I got up to the Tuolumne Meadow Wilderness station, they still had a back country camping opening for that same day up at Cathedral Lakes which is pretty rare.

The lows were to be in the low 40's so I did bring my sleeping bag, but I didn't bother with a tent as I planned to shoot the Milky Way until the moon rose about 1am and then I could sleep for a bit on the rocks, the tent would be overkill.

So all went as planned, except that at about mile 2 of the hike it started to hail. Not sure if this hail had followed me from Colorado, but it was more intense and for the next 2 miles it continued to hail, laying down a blanket of hail on the ground. I think Jim asked last time if I had stopped to shoot it, so despite my backpack, I did stop and take a few shots in the pouring hail. :confused:

Upon reaching Upper Cathedral Lakes in Yosemite, the hail had stopped, but the clouds were still thick. I started out shooting with the idea of B&W, but about an hour before sunset, the clouds starting opening up a bit and by sunset there was just that perfect combination of clouds and open skies for sunset. The sun was burning golden through the clouds on the left. The clouds on the right were golden and then within a few minutes started to progress to a more magenta tone. I found it cool on these wider shots to see both gold and the red/magenta colors in one image.

The gold from the sun was hitting the peak so much, it turned the peak so yellow I had to desaturate it by 40%. It was like there was this golden spotlight to the west.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

_D851745_dw.jpg


+ Edit with more contrast
_D851745_d1w.jpg
 

lionking

Well-Known Member
Sounds like some story, i needed some caffeine during it, but the ending and the image were totally worth it.
Great capture, and happy ending persistence story.:D
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like some story, i needed some caffeine during it, but the ending and the image were totally worth it.
Great capture, and happy ending persistence story.:D
Ha ha, thanks Andrey. I think I needed some caffeine while writing the story so that it didn’t drag on forever like it does. :eek:
 

David S

Well-Known Member
This looks great, its very safely processed as well. I cant help but wonder if there was more contrast in the light if it would add some drama? It may be not possible, as is the case many times.. just curious if you tried a "reckless edit" as well... :)
 

Jim Dockery

Well-Known Member
Great story and shot, I take it you had a good Gortex jacket (and pants?). I'm with David, I'd like to see the fully saturated version!
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Great story and shot, I take it you had a good Gortex jacket (and pants?). I'm with David, I'd like to see the fully saturated version!
Gortex? What’s that? :rolleyes:

I go very minimalistic Jim. I have a lightweight rain jacket and pants tucked in my backpack for when the weather might get really bad, but it gets too hot wearing them with hiking uphill. Nope, I just use a $15 yellow poncho with the words Yosemite emblazoned on it. I keep that easy to get to, I just put it on. My hiking pants are the thin PFG ones from Columbia. And they certainly got wet almost to my hips, but I knew the weather would eventually clear, and the thin hiking pants air dry so fast, by the time sunset was over they were dry.

Thanks for your kind words, and I might just try a version of this with a little more pop!
 

Panther

Well-Known Member
Stunning Light and Reflection Jim, That had to be awe inspiring to see that in person !!!

Thanks for Sharing that Experience !!!

Take care,

Craig
 

Alisa

Well-Known Member
Very nice Jim! I love the color and the reflection in this shot well worth the hike and weather!
 
Top Bottom