Bridalveil Fall

JohnC

Well-Known Member
When I first composed this photo I liked how the dogwood tree and the waterfall lined up. Since then, the more I look at it, it's starting to look like a fashion faux pas. Thoughts?

 

AlanLichty

Moderator
I am afraid I have to concur - the symmetry of the elements here is almost too much. The tree, the waterfall, and the two flanking trees off to the side almost make it feel like a mirror image. I have never visited this scene so can't really offer much in the way of suggestions for how to change the composition.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
I am afraid I have to concur - the symmetry of the elements here is almost too much. The tree, the waterfall, and the two flanking trees off to the side almost make it feel like a mirror image. I have never visited this scene so can't really offer much in the way of suggestions for how to change the composition.
I have other photos from that general area that do not combine the tree with the fall. I think that's the secret here. Less is more. Funny how good ideas go bad after you get home. LoL! Thanks Alan.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Hey John, yeah I agree I’m that I wish the waterfall was slightly offset from the Dogwood. Also the clouds in the sky look washed out like they were over exposed.

The one thing I don’t like from that spot is the far bank and how it’s a sheer cut of brown. When I shoot from there I always compose to exclude that which means the Merced is also excluded. But... I like how that Dogwood tree basically masks that far sheer bank from being a distracting visual. So good job on that.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
Hey John, yeah I agree I’m that I wish the waterfall was slightly offset from the Dogwood. Also the clouds in the sky look washed out like they were over exposed.

The one thing I don’t like from that spot is the far bank and how it’s a sheer cut of brown. When I shoot from there I always compose to exclude that which means the Merced is also excluded. But... I like how that Dogwood tree basically masks that far sheer bank from being a distracting visual. So good job on that.
The clouds weren't blown out but at times they lacked texture. I took a lot of shots from there while moving around and waiting for the big rooster tails that would occasionally erupt as the wind blew the spray. Some included the Merced, some didn't. At times I stood there and debated whether I wanted to include it or not. I think it really depends on the complete composition. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I like having more context by not zooming as much. I also like having the Merced as a foreground. That said it certainly doesn't work as any general rule. LoL! Seems like nothing is simple. :)
 

dan swiger

Well-Known Member
John, I've tried several "Dogwood & Falls" compositions & not happy with them yet.
Good for you to try it though. Sometimes the vision doesn't meet the reality.
Keep at it
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
John, I've tried several "Dogwood & Falls" compositions & not happy with them yet.
Good for you to try it though. Sometimes the vision doesn't meet the reality.
Keep at it
Well, you know, sometimes things seem like as good idea at the time and then later, not so much. Unfortunately for me, I learn best from my mistakes even when I'm learning something I think I already know. Nothing like a good hard smack of reality to get a point across. :)
 
Top Bottom