10 Seconds in Yosemite

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Last month the one day had some boring blue skies, so one of the things I did during the day was to put the 10 stop ND on and shoot some longer waterfall exposures. Normally that's something I just don't do, so this look is totally different to go with a 10 second exposure, but because it's different for me, it seems kind of cool.

So this is from Upper Yosemite Falls in Yosemite. There is a good waterflow so the water really flows out from the top.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

_D856510_dw.jpg
 

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I am like you and prefer faster shutters, but sometimes a slow shutter really works and this is one of them.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Makes it look like a night shot. Yosemite Falls always works for me.
Interesting Kyle. I hadn't thought about it, but yeah it does have a night time feel since our night time shots from there are always longer exposures and make Yosemite falls spray out like this.
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
As a general rule, I like fast shutters for big powerful waterfalls. I like slower shutters on streams, rivers, and smaller waterfalls. I like to nap when Yosemite goes cloudless. ;-)
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
As a general rule, I like fast shutters for big powerful waterfalls. I like slower shutters on streams, rivers, and smaller waterfalls. I like to nap when Yosemite goes cloudless. ;-)
Ha ha, now my problem is I can't nap during the day. So I am left to try and stay busy without getting into too much trouble...:eek:
 

JohnC

Well-Known Member
I only bought my 6 stop ND right before my recent trip to Yosemite. I didn't buy it for the trip and I didn't expect to use it. But I was wrong. I used it a few times and what really amazed me was that my camera (D7100) focused through it every time. I thought I might have to put it on and take it off to focus and calculate shutter speed but I didn't. Quite the pleasant surprise.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
I only bought my 6 stop ND right before my recent trip to Yosemite. I didn't buy it for the trip and I didn't expect to use it. But I was wrong. I used it a few times and what really amazed me was that my camera (D7100) focused through it every time. I thought I might have to put it on and take it off to focus and calculate shutter speed but I didn't. Quite the pleasant surprise.
That's pretty cool John. Yeah, I can't focus through the 10 stop... :) But a 6 stop is pretty dark too, so that's awesome you could focus through it.
 
Top Bottom