Twin Tiger Yak 55's

JimFox

Staff member
Very cool Don! My favorite is #1 it's so cool how they are curving into the shot.

Like Alan, I found the plane very cool looking. And so I had to look it up in Wikipedia. Here is a short blurb from them.

"… the Yakovlev Yak-55, was a single-engined all-metal cantilever monoplane. The aircraft's wing is mounted midway up the fuselage and is of thick, symmetrical section to aid inverted flight. The pilot sits in an enclosed cockpit under a sliding teardrop canopy level with the trailing edge of the wing and with the seat below wing level. The powerplant is the same tractor configuration 360 horsepower (270 kW) Vedeneyev M14P engine driving a two-bladed V-530TA-D35 propeller, as used by the Yak-50, while the aircraft has a fixed undercarriage with titanium sprung main gear and tailwheel.[3][4]

The prototype Yak-55 first flew in May 1981, was unveiled at the Moscow Tushino air show in August 1982 and displayed (but did not compete) at the 1982 World Aerobatic Championships. By this time, fashions in aerobatic flying had changed, with the high-energy aerobatics demonstrated by the Yak-50 back in fashion, leading to the Yak-55 being rejected by the Soviet team.[3] The Yak-55 was therefore redesigned with new wings with shorter span, reduced area and a thinner but still symmetrical aerofoil section, giving an increased rate of roll and speed.[4][5][nb 1] Series production finally began in 1985 at Arsenyev,[6] with 108 aircraft being delivered by 1991.[4] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-55

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Nice set and I like the shutter speed which give a nice three area prop look. I bet the sound of those radial engines was fun to hear too.

Ironic to see God Bless America on soviet era airplanes.

Littlefield

Nice set and I like the shutter speed which give a nice three area prop look. I bet the sound of those radial engines was fun to hear too.

Ironic to see God Bless America on soviet era airplanes.
Ben, glad you like it. Yea, I thought about that too.
Don

Top Bottom