It's that farolito time of year

MonikaC

I spent a handful of days in Santa Fe with a girlfriend (testing out her Tesla for an urban road trip vehicle: not recommended - it took 10 hours to drive what is usually a 6 hour drive & that's not counting the 1 1/2 hours charging time before we left Santa Fe) and took some handhelds of the farolitos. The one with Santa was just around the corner from where we were staying, but the rest were on Canyon Rd. Unlike at Christmas time, vehicle traffic was not blocked off, so working around the headlights was kind of limiting. But then, this was far from my usual kind of photography, so seriousness was not in the mix. Hope you enjoy & have some fun looking!

farolito-walkway-copy.jpg
farolitos-&-lights-copy.jpg
statues-fire-copy.jpg
tire--farolitos.jpg
santa-farolito-copy.jpg

AlanLichty

Interesting shots. I had always heard these called luminaria growing up in Phoenix but these names appear to be regional and interchangeable. I don't think I have ever seen these with snow covered ground before. The snow adds a nice touch.

What in the world is the giant ring shaped item in shot #4?

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Monika, these are great! Not being serious worked out great for you!

I like what you got, even if the conditions weren’t the greatest you have some really great take aways.

MonikaC

Interesting shots. I had always heard these called luminaria growing up in Phoenix but these names appear to be regional and interchangeable. I don't think I have ever seen these with snow covered ground before. The snow adds a nice touch.

What in the world is the giant ring shaped item in shot #4?
Good question, Alan. We looked at each other and asked, "Is that a tire?". It's art. The owner of a photography gallery we went to said that the original term is "farolitos" but somehow "luminaria" came along later. Apparently luminaria originally meant the bonfires in the streets, sort of like in my 3rd shot. When they close the road for Christmas, there are bonfires in the middle of the street (or there used to be anyway).

It had just snowed the night before. The Santa picture is from the next morning when I was walking my dog. I knew that I could get untracked snow shooting around 6 am, so I was glad that the wind (which was howling most of the night) had dropped by then.

Top Bottom