Ekker butte, The maze, Canyonlands

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Our last night in the Maze was at Ekker butte. This is an often overlooked place with only one campsite, but in many ways this is the place I liked best. The view of Green river is after a ½ mile of difficult rock scrambling and is maybe one of the best view of the trip. The maze view to the south at daybreak was also great and the view of Ekker Butter not too shabby either.

CC welcome.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks a lot Jeffrey, lots of work went into this and it's gratifying to get a reply. I think Ekker Butte would be pretty accessible to your rig, but I would hesitate to try Doll House in it.

Jim Dockery

Most excellent! Great photos and one of your best time lapses yet. Too bad the light didn't hit the rocks until the end. As much as I loved the play in the clouds it got a bit long, but you wouldn't want to loose the last part so I might cut just a bit at the start, then speed it up a bit too. I also would have enjoyed just a bit of the human element - a camp shot or two and perhaps a hiking/photographer. You certainly achieved your goal - I want to go there!

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks Jim. I do have a campsite image at the beginning. There were no other people there but Rick and I . Thanks for your take on the time lapse I always worry about them being too long

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Ben,

What a great video! I like how you are including still images in with the timelapse.

For me, the timelapse was not too long. Maybe I am biased, but I didn't get bored at all, I really enjoyed watching the clouds roll in and then the changing light on the ground.

Please keep adding details about your capturing in the post too. Which camera did you shoot the timelapse with? What were your settings?

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks Jim a memorable trip for me. I was not sure I could do it. My old truck just kept going.

I shot this time lapse with the R5 and 24-105 probably around 24 mm and at f5.6 aperature priority and auto iso with 2 second intervals.

JimFox

Staff member
Thanks Jim a memorable trip for me. I was not sure I could do it. My old truck just kept going.

I shot this time lapse with the R5 and 24-105 probably around 24 mm and at f5.6 aperature priority and auto iso with 2 second intervals.
That worked pretty good Ben. I have been doing almost all of my timelapse at 5 second intervals now. Except for at night when there is no interval.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Jim, 2 seconds was optimal for my backyard when I was using 100 mm. This gets in tight on clouds. 24mm probably need longer intervals. This worked because the clouds were really moving. I think I will move toward 4 seconds for wider FL.

I also noticed that I had to greatly reduce the speed for my 20 second interval MW. I think I ended up at 25%.

Top Bottom