9/11 Pentagon Memorial

Mike Mancil

If ground can be hallowed, this is it. An evening visit started off with only about 10 or so people there, the atmosphere was solemn and quiet; then a large group of teens arrived by bus. I thought the visit was going to be ruined by teen laughter and hijinks, but I never heard anything but whispers from them. That's the kind of place this is.

Sony a6000, E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS, at f/4, 1/15 sec, ISO-3200, (-0.7 EV), 18 mm, hand held. Neat Image used to smooth some noise.
9-11 Pentagon.jpg

dan swiger

If ground can be hallowed, this is it. An evening visit started off with only about 10 or so people there, the atmosphere was solemn and quiet; then a large group of teens arrived by bus. I thought the visit was going to be ruined by teen laughter and hijinks, but I never heard anything but whispers from them. That's the kind of place this is.

Sony a6000, E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS, at f/4, 1/15 sec, ISO-3200, (-0.7 EV), 18 mm, hand held. Neat Image used to smooth some noise.
View attachment 8427
Mike, thanks for posting this. Brings back a lot of memories. I had a PJ gig in 2011 covering some Flight 93 stuff

Mike Mancil

Yes, the pattern of the lights, it looks so detailed so planned out its interesting.
Ahhh, in that case, it is all that and more. There are 184 of the benches, each dedicated to either a Pentagon employee (visitor) or a passenger on the airplane. Each bench has a name and age of a victim and if the bench points away from the Pentagon the person was on the ground, if pointing toward the Pentagon then the person was in the airplane. All of the monuments are arranged to the impact site and are chronological from left to right (in my picture) based on the victim's age.

So, yes, it's a monument with more than the average symbiology and content. Be sure to visit there one night if you get to DC.
Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom