Crohy Sea Arch Donegal

Ken Rennie

Well-Known Member
This location has come close to defeating me. Firstly it is quite difficult to get to. From the car you have to descend the cliff with the last 30ft approx sliding down an angled rock slab. Someone has rigged a strong rope or I would not have tackled it. Another windy day, but dry and on this visit a rising tide,. so a lot of care as some of the waves were big and throwing up lots of spray. . The wet foreshore rocks are ankle breakers so some of the better locations were beyond me. I was also shooting into a very bright sky putting the beautiful sea stacks into deep shadow. Excuses over here are the first 3 images.
_DSC2081-1_Original ratio_1600x740_U_100.jpg


_DSC2112-1 mono_Original ratio_1600x676_U_100.jpg


I made my way back up the rope assisted slope and looked back to see lovely crepuscular rays and had a go at capturing them.

_DSC2256-1_Original ratio_1600x924_U_100.jpg


I was going to return the next morning when the tide was due to be lower and dropping back but heavy rain set in making the trip down onto the water's edge far too dangerous for me. I don't think that I have the best processing method for this type of image but I have some 300 images to practice on so may get better as I work my way through them. Ken
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
I really like the view of the arch in the last two images and the B&W processing is quite nice.

Your description of access to the vantage points paint a rather daunting task in any weather for the physically impaired. Foul weather days would be even worse. Having a photo partner spotting for each other sounds advisable.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Wow! What a super cool place! Well worth sliding into. :)

I think the remoteness adds to the look, it has a remote feel.

I am trying to pick favorites. I like #1 for setting the scene. I am torn between #2 and 3 as to which I like best. I think I lean towards #2, but the sun rays in #3 sure are sweet.
 
Top Bottom