Where Did You Go? + Edit

JimFox

Staff member
I ran up to Sequoia National Park yesterday. While I wanted to spend some time photographing the large trees there, I also wanted to capture some bears. Fortunately I know of an area where you can pretty consistently see them and capture them. In this case this year it was a mother Black bear and her 2 cubs. Other years I have seen as many 5 different bears in this particular meadow area.

This was at 240mm with the Nikon 70-300mm lens.

The two cubs were quite playful. Following their mother around of course, but they still had plenty of time for hijinks along the way.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

#1 - Original
_D850208_dw.jpg

#2 - Cropped
_D850208_d1w.jpg

Last edited:

Amy Nelson

Totally adorable.. the way the scene is laid out, my first thought was "it looks like he's looking into a mirror".

MonikaC

Cute little guys!
I agree with Jameels's crop suggestion -- it would highlight the cubs more.

JimFox

Staff member
Lovely shot Jim. Love the pose of bears.

I'd crop off a bit from the top losing the OOF branches.
Thanks Jameel. I had the same thought too, but wanted to post it larger first and see if anyone else thought a crop might be good.

Eric Gofreed

I ran up to Sequoia National Park yesterday. While I wanted to spend some time photographing the large trees there, I also wanted to capture some bears. Fortunately I know of an area where you can pretty consistently see them and capture them. In this case this year it was a mother Black bear and her 2 cubs. Other years I have seen as many 5 different bears in this particular meadow area.

This was at 240mm with the Nikon 70-300mm lens.

The two cubs were quite playful. Following their mother around of course, but they still had plenty of time for hijinks along the way.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

#1 - Original
View attachment 31734

#2 - Cropped
View attachment 31782
Love it!

JimFox

Staff member
Nice pick. Good grab. Up there, they look pretty cozy. Have we left them alone?
Thanks so much!

It’s funny (or sad) in that as I was capturing them from what I felt was a safe distance to allow the bears to play, someone who had been closer to them and had finally gotten bored as the bears wouldn’t come out of the brush in the meadow next to the trees, as they walked by me leaving they said to me, “You can go closer now”, to which I said “No, I am fine back here, I am staying back so the bears come out of the brush”. The person gave me this very quizzical and puzzled look to me, like I was some alien being for not wanting to get as close as I could to the bears. ( a few people earlier had gotten within 6 feet of the bears causing the mother to do false charges, one of them as they walked by me later laughing over her experience I just had to tell them that they had been very stupid for getting so close). It’s amazing how so many people out there just don’t think...

Top Bottom