• #4 Oxbow 1

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • #5 Oxbow 2

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I have several images I want to print. They will be displayed in sets of 3 with a 24x36 flanked by 16x24. Each set will be a theme and should match as a set

This is my first poll I will be doing a few more with different themes.

I would like for you to choose the best 3. The highest scorer would become a 24x36, the next two would be side images.The first two are 21 MP images that have been uprezzezed using (Topaz Gigapixel) The rest don't require uprezzing at 50 MP.

# 1. Schwabacher Landing.

# 2. The barn.

#3. Black Tail Ponds overlook

#4 Oxbow Bend #1

#5 Oxbow Bend #2

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Ben, these are all worthy of being printed. While #2 of the barn is awesome, I don’t know how it would fit in with the other 4 since it has a clear sky and the other 4 don’t. Unless #2 was in the center and colorful cloud photo went on each side of it.

I voted, but my thinking is #1 in the middle and 4 and 5 on each side.

Or... I could see #5 in the center and #1 to the left and then you would need to find another one with pink clouds that isn’t from Oxbow to go on the right.

I am curious what others think.

JimFox

Staff member
By the way Ben, I am glad that you did this. I think it’s a great exercise for each of us to think through.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Jim, thanks for both replies, I hope this helps start some critique action. I really appreciate your thoughts on the choices and displays.

I agree on the barn, it works better as a 16x9 aspect ratio with less sky. As you say, it does not really fit as well as the others.

Kyle Jones

That first one is just stunning.

And I agree with cropping the barn image. While I agree that its colors don't align too well with the others, combining that with Schwabacher and Oxbow would form a nice "best of Teton" set.

Sunny Sra

Here's my thoughts...
I was going to vote for #1, but then after looking at it for a few minutes...you can't see the mountains...the peaks...it's a good reflection shot but the key element that makes that place is missing. Without the peaks showing, that shot could be anywhere.
My top vote is for #2. Clouds or no clouds...it fits with the overall theme

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Hey Sunny, I have noticed that problem with this one since I shot it in 2008. I have been back a dozen times and the pond is now full of weeds and the trees are even taller to obscure the peaks even more. I think the parking lot area is a better place for getting the peaks.

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Jeffrey

#1 center, #''s 3 and 5 left and right. That's going to be one powerful wall, wherever it will be.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks Jeffrey. I hope it will be. The barn gets more votes than 5, but I think 5 fits the set better.

AlanLichty

I voted on my phone yesterday but never offered a comment. I went for #1, #3, #4. The order that would make the biggest statement for me would be #3 in the center (too strong for a sideshow), #1 on the left since the composition favors being a left side bookend, and then #4 on the right which has clouds sloping up towards to high reaching skies in #3.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks lot for the follow up Alan, I am making 16x24 prints of all of the viable candidates and will hang them for a while to see how they work before I splurge on a 24x36.

By the way, you were there when I shot 4 and 5. Also note that I used Topaz Gigapixel to uprez 1, which I shot with a 1DS3 in 2008. Same for the barn. The rest will easily print large without uprez.

AlanLichty

How did Gigapixel AI work for you with these? Its a product that I can easily see being highly useful for making prints from some of our older gear but I haven't actually used it yet myself.

Top Bottom