Thursday Task - 09/10/2020

Todays task is to post your favorite image taken within the state in which you lived at the time you took it. You can add one from each state in which you lived. You may post any type of image so it is not limited just to landscapes. Let the fun begin.

This is the Nankoweap rapids area of the Colorado River viewed from the south rim of the Grand Canyon.
Nankoweap II (1 of 1).jpg

This is a Bloodroot image from a woodland in Illinois.
BLOODROOT III final.jpg

Jim Dockery

Tough picking the best from my home state of WA. I'll go with this one taken a few years ago from the summit of Vesper Pk. in the north Cascades. I skied up solo and spent a beautiful night on top. This is looking back out toward the town where I live.

Vesper-Camp_0321.jpg

Sunset from Vesper

I lived in UT for 10 years back in my college years. This is a long exposure while a buddy and I climbed a frozen waterfall up Little Cottonwood Canyon.

GWI-bad-ice-night.jpg

Great White Icicle

While in UT I spent most summers working in WY, first as a roughneck on oil rigs, then as a climbing guide in the Tetons where I took this shot.

Tetons-(10).jpg

Grand Teton North & West Faces from the air.

In the 80s I lived in Bavaria for about 8 years. Of course I loved to visit the Alps.

Bavarian-Alps-Sunset.jpg

Bavarian Alps Sunset

While in Europe I spent most summers climbing in the Alps and figured I lived in Chamonix France for almost a year.

Sunrise-from-Les-Courtes.jpg

Sunrise from the north face of Les Courtes

Last edited:

Amy Nelson

This photo was taken 3 years ago. I took it in standard color and infrared processed in both color and B&W (an I love all three, that doesn't happen very often).
It may not be the best I have, but definitely one of my favorites.

Blue-Winter---BW---1S.jpg

And is just so happens my second favorite (for personal reasons) is also in B&W: (both in Colorado)

Home.jpg

This photo was taken 3 years ago. I took it in standard color and infrared processed in both color and B&W (an I love all three, that doesn't happen very often).
It may not be the best I have, but definitely one of my favorites.

View attachment 32034

And is just so happens my second favorite (for personal reasons) is also in B&W: (both in Colorado)

View attachment 32043
Really beautiful images, Amy.

Tough picking the best from my home state of WA. I'll go with this one taken a few years ago from the summit of Vesper Pk. in the north Cascades. I skied up solo and spent a beautiful night on top. This is looking back out toward the town where I live.

View attachment 32038
Sunset from Vesper

I lived in UT for 10 years back in my college years. Again pretty hard to pick a favorite, this being from much later when I returned to visit the desert with my wife after we retired.

View attachment 32039
Coyote Gulch

While in UT I spent most summers working in WY, first as a roughneck on oil rigs, then as a climbing guide in the Tetons where I took this shot.

View attachment 32041
Grand Teton North & West Faces from the air.

In the 80s I lived in Bavaria for about 8 years. Of course I loved to visit the Alps.

View attachment 32040
Bavarian Alps Sunset

While in Europe I spent most summers climbing in the Alps and figured I lived in Chamonix France for almost a year.

View attachment 32042
Sunrise from the north face of Les Courtes
What a gorgeous series, Jim. You reminded me that I lived in Sheridan, WY for a summer supervising a drilling rig for Shell Oil figuring out the thickness of coal units near the Wolf Creek Mountains just over the border in Montana.

Ken Rennie

I will pick Cumbria, the county that I live in. It is only 2,600 sq miles so tiny in comparison to USA states but it has a variety of terrain including the English Lake District. This image was taken as I returned to my car as I thought that the light had disappeared for the day and when I saw this kicking off I ran quickly to get into position and change lenses from 16-35 to 70-200. The light show lasted long enough for this one composition. Ken
_DSC1628-3.jpg

AlanLichty

I have resided in 3 states as a photographer - Arizona, Utah, and Washington.

First up is Arizona - this was taken back in the mid 60's on a high school field trip to the Havasu Falls area. I don't recommend trying to shoot down the falls with a twin lens reflex camera like this - I had a buddy holding onto me while I focused the shot and will never do something like that again.

TopOfTheFalls.jpg

Utah - this is from the San Rafael Swell in 1977. Scanned from Kodachrome 25:

SanRafaelSwell4.jpg

Washington - this is an 8 vertical shot panorama taken of a sunset at Ruby Beach:

RubyPano.jpg

TimMc

Supporting Member
AlanLichty
First up is Arizona - this was taken back in the mid 60's on a high school field trip to the Havasu Falls area. I don't recommend trying to shoot down the falls with a twin lens reflex camera like this - I had a buddy holding onto me while I focused the shot and will never do something like that again.
I have a waterfall in Michigan with the label "never again". But we got the first shot :)

Top Bottom