This Really Will Be a Disaster

ckcarr

Founding Member
These foolish people do not know how damaging the ORV use is to fragile back country. It's almost as if the intent is to completely destroy everything in Southern Utah. This would include the White RIm, and every similar road in any Utah National Park.

I dont have the proper headline below, as I am on the side of the park managers. But, a small group seems to have swayed someone to allow ORV's into all the Utah national parks. The dust, noise, and crowding will be too much. The tranquility will be gone. My experience in Moab is, unfortunately, that the ORV crowds are not that courteous. And they are not soloists. When there is travel, it's often a group of many separate ORV's following each other in a could of silty dust.

You complain about Bears Ears. Which no one even knew existed until the complainant started. However, potential destruction by these things will be far worse. This can''t be allowed to happen.

Park managers balk at plan to let ORVs in Utah national parks

https://www.sltrib.com/news/environment/2019/10/05/park-managers-balk-plan/

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Street legal motorcycles already run White Rim if they have a permit, this includes those that are primarily off road type bikes. I think the solution is to limit the permits and enforce them.

JimFox

Staff member
Yep, that’s totally crazy Craig. There are enough off road places for then to run around in, leave the NP’s and NM’s alone. Because you are right, those people seem to have absolutely no respect for the land they freely tear up and at times appear to purposely destroy.

ckcarr

Founding Member
An update on this. The locals, and the NPS employees are outraged by this unilateral decision. Seems it was concocted by two people, that's right, just two people...

This one guy is a moron, who is trying to slide this through. state Rep. Phil Lyman, R-Blanding. He was fined several years ago for leading an illegal ATV ride through Recapture Canyon... He'll certainly be one that can be trusted...

However, I just read todays news, and for now Kate Cannon has successfully contined this ban.

People were absolutely furious...

https://moabtimes.com/2019/10/18/de...rom-arches-other-se-utah-parks-and-monuments/

Darcy Grizzle

Yep, that’s totally crazy Craig. There are enough off road places for then to run around in, leave the NP’s and NM’s alone. Because you are right, those people seem to have absolutely no respect for the land they freely tear up and at times appear to purposely destroy.
Not all of us, the group I ride with are responsible ORV drivers. We stay on the roads, never stray to the meadows & don't tear anything up. We pack out what we pack in, leave no trace and have brought our kids up the same way. but there are a lot out there yes that have no respect.

Top Bottom