The Recipe #51 - Golden Ratio

AlanLichty

I will confess in advance that I rarely compose shots using the Golden Ratio and typically thinking about thirds in the frame. My landscape images frequently have subjects that are large enough that the thirds also overlaps the golden ratio target so I will toss one of those into the ring here. In this instance the spiral is flipped so the target is towards the upper right.

BistiBW1.jpg

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Ok so I never thought about flipping it. Now I have to ask how different is this from the rule of thirds.
Anyway I like the image

AlanLichty

Ok so I never thought about flipping it. Now I have to ask how different is this from the rule of thirds.
Anyway I like the image
If you look carefully at the center of the spiral that the golden ratio creates it isn't far from being 1/3 from two edges of the frame. The golden ratio is a formula dating back to the age of Greek mathematicians and does not specify an origin.

JimFox

Staff member
I don't know how much I see this as Golden Ratio, I think the Hoodoo is too large of an object. But at least you are first to the gate with getting an image in here Alan, extra points for that! :)

Ben, the Golden Ratio can be flipped horizontally and can also be placed vertically. The orientation is not fixed.

AlanLichty

I don't know how much I see this as Golden Ratio, I think the Hoodoo is too large of an object. But at least you are first to the gate with getting an image in here Alan, extra points for that! :)

Ben, the Golden Ratio can be flipped horizontally and can also be placed vertically. The orientation is not fixed.
Thanks - This is one of the smallest objects I can find in my collection of landscape images. I have a bunch of images with a primary object that covers the space for the golden ratio target point but all of them are larger than this. I did consider several vertical images but this one had the smallest object in the target area with the hoodoo capstone.

Top Bottom