The door in the ivy

Amy Earl

On one of my walks I discovered this very intriguing shuttered farmhouse with ivy covering the wall in the garden. I used a wide angle lens to try and accentuate the angles and expanse of the ivy. I have a few other shots of this house that could be treated with a haunted/abandoned vibe, but for this post I'm focusing on this particular shuttered window...comments welcome!

20200427_IMG_4679-Edit_AmyEarl.jpg

AlanLichty

Neat scene - glad you stopped to shoot it. The exposed patch of the building wall where the facade has fallen away on the left speaks volumes about the age of this structure and the construction techniques.

Amy Earl

Neat scene - glad you stopped to shoot it. The exposed patch of the building wall where the facade has fallen away on the left speaks volumes about the age of this structure and the construction techniques.
Indeed - good point about the exposed area. Glad you like it :)

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Interesting place Amy. It would catch my attention too. I'd consider cropping off the portion from the right to lose the sky. Its bright and takes the eye away from the main subject.

JimFox

Staff member
What a cool wall Amy! That ivy is definitely eye catching.

Like Jameel, I think that roof line and sky is a bit distracting. Maybe use the Warp tool to pull that upper right side out?

Did you get a close up of that lower window?

Amy Earl

Interesting place Amy. It would catch my attention too. I'd consider cropping off the portion from the right to lose the sky. Its bright and takes the eye away from the main subject.
Good suggestion, thanks Jameel! Gonna try that.

Very nice find Amy, that ivy will cling to any surface I think
Indeed - I love the patterns it makes. It seems to like stone & concrete a lot. Probably most any solid service with the slightest texture would work!

What a cool wall Amy! That ivy is definitely eye catching.

Like Jameel, I think that roof line and sky is a bit distracting. Maybe use the Warp tool to pull that upper right side out?

Did you get a close up of that lower window?
Thanks Jim. I do have a closer one of that window which I will try to process soon. I think I'll try Jameel's suggestion for a crop to lose the sky, seems like a far "stretch" for the warp tool.

Top Bottom