Temple of the Moon (+edit)

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
This is a sunset shot, the clouds were dramatic, but no color, so it was a natural for B&W

CC encouraged.

200530-13344-5DS R b&w copy.jpg

Here is an edit with contrast and darkness added to the foreground as suggested by Kyle.
200530-13344-5DS R b&w A.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Dockery

You are becoming a B&W master Ben! This is GREAT (but take my review with a grain of salt since I'm a sucker for contrast). Of course the clouds make it, but without the temple they would be interesting, but not part of a mythical story - I can almost see Gandolf on top, waving his staff to call up the storm which he'll use to send a flash flood down upon the approaching orc army.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Nice - I like the way your B&W processing accentuates the exposed layering in the Temple's geology. Pretty wild clouds too.
Thanks Alan, I just had to make use of those clouds.

You are becoming a B&W master Ben! This is GREAT (but take my review with a grain of salt since I'm a sucker for contrast). Of course the clouds make it, but without the temple they would be interesting, but not part of a mythical story - I can almost see Gandolf on top, waving his staff to call up the storm which he'll use to send a flash flood down upon the approaching orc army.

Thanks Jim, you are always encouraging me to try B&W so here I am. :)

Kyle Jones

That sky is fantastic! I would take a look at darkening the foreground and maybe adding some contrast too it. That may frame the rock formation nicely within that and the great sky.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Thanks Kyle, I will give that a try. See new edit above. Thanks Kyle it does look better.

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
This is so cool Ben! Love those clouds! I don't even remember them now, but what you captured has me wanting to go see what I had shot for sunset. :)

Your edit is awesome, those few touches really made all the difference.

And I agree, you are starting to get really adept at B&W. I guess we are all picking up new things? I have been doing Astro and IR and you now are doing B&W. I think it's awesome.

Jim Dockery

Good advice from Kyle, I like the edit.Now that I see it I think you could take it further, darkening the ground even more with a GND pulled up from the bottom for a really dramatic rendering.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
This is so cool Ben! Love those clouds! I don't even remember them now, but what you captured has me wanting to go see what I had shot for sunset. :)

Your edit is awesome, those few touches really made all the difference.

And I agree, you are starting to get really adept at B&W. I guess we are all picking up new things? I have been doing Astro and IR and you now are doing B&W. I think it's awesome.
Thanks Jim, I can learn new things, but I am still an old dog;)

Good advice from Kyle, I like the edit.Now that I see it I think you could take it further, darkening the ground even more with a GND pulled up from the bottom for a really dramatic rendering.
Thanks Jim I am a bit shy about adding too much contrast, but I see it works in B&W, it will take a while for me to get the eye for this.

Top Bottom