Sometimes You Just Get Lucky

JimFox

Staff member
I went out camping with the 6 grandkids and my daughter to Dowdy Lake in Northern Colorado. It's a lake by an area called Red Feather Lakes. I had never been there before so it was all new to me. We were able to get a campsite right next to the lake and I found that it had this very cool rock structure with a little spit of land reaching out to it. I thought that might make for some cool foreground interest.

My biggest complication was going to be the 80% moon rising at 10:30pm. So with the sunset at about 8:30, I had a short window where I could capture the tail of the Milky Way before the moon would wash it out. I used a head lamp on low setting, and set it about 100 yards away to add some light to the rocks.

This image here was only my 2nd or 3rd image as I was still testing my settings and the composition, so hence the lucky feeling as I was reviewing the histogram and saw I had caught a meteor streaking.

Nikon D850
Sigma 14mm f1.8
25 secs
ISO 1600
f2

This is a single image.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

_D851605_dw.jpg

AlanLichty

Lucky indeed - this worked out quite well. The little spit of land makes a great compositional element.

Is the glow on the horizon from an urban area or is that the moonrise?

JimFox

Staff member
Lucky indeed - this worked out quite well. The little spit of land makes a great compositional element.

Is the glow on the horizon from an urban area or is that the moonrise?
Thanks Alan!

The light has to be of human origin, though I am not sure exactly what. The moon when it did rise was out of the frame to the right.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
This is a nice Milky Way Jim. The amount of foreground light is perfect and does not look painted at all.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Nice location for a. MW shot. The ground light isn’t distracting. The reflection in the water is a nice addition.

Top Bottom