In the field at dawn

Amy Earl

I found these plants at the edge of a field the other morning at dawn and had fun creating these as the sun rose. The plants were only 12-20 inches tall so I had the camera on the ground to get this perspective.

The foggy effect in some of these was done by fogging the lens with my breath right before the shot. It starts to evaporate within a couple seconds so I fired off a few shots in succession as that was happening. This lets me choose the amount of fog I want in the shot later. I'm pretty psyched by this simple technique I discovered recently.

There are some different moods here and I'm curious which one(s) are your favorites.
As you decide, you may want to have a soundtrack - I know I do when I'm processing photos :) So here are 3 contemporary classical songs to choose from depending on your taste or mood:

On The Nature of Daylight by Max Richter (quiet, contemplative, bit of melancholy)
The Chair by Angelo Badalamenti (enigma/discovery)
Arrival of the Birds & Transformation by Cinematic Orchestra (more positive/sweeping/uplifting)

C&C welcome!

AlanLichty

Delightful results. I recall seeing this technique before but have never tried it myself. I like #3 as well as #5.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Amy,

These are awesome! Very very artistic! My favorite of the group is #5.

Fogging up the lens is a great technique. It’s very old school and doesn’t leave the mess behind like we used to have to deal with when using Vaseline on a UV filter on the lens. Back in the old days of dark rooms we had to get very creative in order to have these effects.

I still will breath on the lens at times, I have used that effectively in Yosemite, though it happens more times by accident these days then by purpose.

Amy Earl

Very creative. I should remember that technique of soft focus.
Good series, but the last one works best for me.
Delightful results. I recall seeing this technique before but have never tried it myself. I like #3 as well as #5.
Hey Amy,

These are awesome! Very very artistic! My favorite of the group is #5.

Fogging up the lens is a great technique. It’s very old school and doesn’t leave the mess behind like we used to have to deal with when using Vaseline on a UV filter on the lens. Back in the old days of dark rooms we had to get very creative in order to have these effects.

I still will breath on the lens at times, I have used that effectively in Yosemite, though it happens more times by accident these days then by purpose.
Thanks so much, everyone :) I appreciate the feedback. I didn't know this "fogging the lens" was a known technique. I might have seen photos that used it before but had no idea this was how they were made! Looking forward to experimenting more with this. I have done a couple sessions and got quite different results depending on the angle of the sun hitting the lens, etc.

I'm pretty excited about this series so I'm going a bit further with it.

Here's a new version of #3 where I added a blue exclusion layer in PS at very low opacity (the "cinematic" technique I mentioned in my daisies post recently) and I like how it adds a subtle dreamy effect. May be hard to see the difference at first but let me know if you think this is an improvement or not.

And a #6 to add to the series:

Thanks again!

Amy Earl

These are very nice, Amy. I iked your first music choice the best for these delicate images. Did you know you can use Vaseline on a cheap UV filter to get the same affect? Wedding photographers have been doing this for decades.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/know...w-to-use-vaseline-to-create-soft-focus.htmlse
Interesting, I didn't know this trick. They didn't include any examples, unfortunately, but I can imagine the Vaseline creating a similar effect. Thanks Doug! Glad you like the photos :) Looking forward to doing more with this technique - it works especially well with the sun on the horizon.

Top Bottom