Helleborus Orientalis

AlanLichty

I have a love/hate relationship with this flower that my wife (the gardener) has planted in several places in our yard. It's a pretty bloom that is always facing the ground and isn't really tall enough to get under to shoot the blooms face on. I decided to shoot this one anyway since it looked nice in between passing showers.

C5D4_HelleborusOrientalis032524.jpg

C&C always welcome.

JimFox

Staff member
Nice capture Alan. If it's low to the ground, then yeah that's quite the pain to image. This looks pretty cool with the rain, though with the rain you probably wouldn't want to be laying on the ground.

AlanLichty

Nice capture Alan. If it's low to the ground, then yeah that's quite the pain to image. This looks pretty cool with the rain, though with the rain you probably wouldn't want to be laying on the ground.
Thanks Jim - those blooms are about 6" off the ground so it would have to be an iPhone shot where you couldn't see the screen. Trust me - I have tried that too :rolleyes:

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Nice looking blooms - looks a bit past their prime or perhaps I am misreading it. One way is to cut one of them and put it in a vase for their portrait.

AlanLichty

Nice looking blooms - looks a bit past their prime or perhaps I am misreading it. One way is to cut one of them and put it in a vase for their portrait.
Thanks - these are indeed at prime believe it or not and these are some of the more colorful varieties of the ones we have in our beds. My wife used to always tell me they were blooming and I would walk right past them looking around for the flowers. Picking them and placing them in a vase would certainly work although I have never done this.

Eric Gofreed

I have a love/hate relationship with this flower that my wife (the gardener) has planted in several places in our yard. It's a pretty bloom that is always facing the ground and isn't really tall enough to get under to shoot the blooms face on. I decided to shoot this one anyway since it looked nice in between passing showers.

View attachment 70983

C&C always welcome.
it's okay to pick your own flowers. My old bones don't stoop very deep and my wife (the gardener) lets me pick what ever I want.

AlanLichty

it's okay to pick your own flowers. My old bones don't stoop very deep and my wife (the gardener) lets me pick what ever I want.
Thanks - almost all of my photography is done outside with the subjects in their own habitat and I just never really think about picking them. In this case I liked the setting with the water droplets on the petals and let the blooms be shy.

KevinA

Very nice and the water drops add a lot more interest. You could plant one in a pot and raise the pot to photograph it. A very understated flower that I really like as it tends to flower early in the season when the bees need all the help they can get.

AlanLichty

Very nice and the water drops add a lot more interest. You could plant one in a pot and raise the pot to photograph it. A very understated flower that I really like as it tends to flower early in the season when the bees need all the help they can get.
Thanks Kevin - they do bloom early and much earlier than most of the rest of our garden including crocuses. Putting one in a pot would certainly work.

Eric Gofreed

View attachment 70983

C&C always welcome.
My wife planted two of these today

Top Bottom