Friday's Focus - 2020/05/22 - Stars

JimFox

Staff member
Our Focus this Friday is on Landscapes that have Stars!

So pull out your night time photos that include the ground since this is for Landscape, and add them to this thread.

Mine will start with a location many of us will be getting together at this next weekend. The Temple of the Sun and Moon in Capitol Reef, Utah. Ben has been asking some questions as he is prepping for our trip, and one of them is where and how close we will be to the Temples. This will hopefully give some idea of what it will look like at 16mm.

Our goal there will be to have both Temples seen well at night, and the Milky Way arching over them. That's our goal, but if you have done any night photography often things can change up fast.

Add your photos! :)

PS. This was done in 2013. There is no real Milky Way but plenty of stars!

_D8C6332_d1w.jpg

JimFox

Staff member
I really need to take more night sky images. I can see the milky way from my garden and have a dark sky Bortle 2 site 15 miles away and seeing the images here I have a way to go with my taking and processing. KenView attachment 28720
Bortle 2 skies just 15 miles away? You should do more Night photography Ken! It's a 2 hour drive for me to get to Bortle 3 skies, and where I live? It's so bright here it probably breaks the Bortle scale. :oops:

JimFox

Staff member
That's a fantastic start to this focus Jim, but I was expecting to see a few more from you.

View attachment 28712
Devil's Garden

View attachment 28713
Goblin Valley Campground, rocks illuminated by a campfire.

View attachment 28716
Glacier Pk. from the summit of Mt. Pugh
Great work Jim! You have a really nice assortment here.

I think it was about 3am when I started Friday's Focus as I was up late getting things packed to head out to Death Valley. The one I picked was mainly just to give people an idea of what our night time shooting at the Temple of the Sun and Moon can look like. 😊

Ken Rennie

Bortle 2 skies just 15 miles away? You should do more Night photography Ken! It's a 2 hour drive for me to get to Bortle 3 skies, and where I live? It's so bright here it probably breaks the Bortle scale. :oops:
Jim we have Bortle 1 skies about 60 miles away and my town is Bortle 4 but I can see the milky way from my garden with the house lights and street lights on. I did produce a stacked miky way shot from my garden and it looked ok but looking at most of the "how to" videos seemed to be using levels of processing and saturation to put colours in that definitely are not visible so I stopped my investigations as I do not like the totally false look. I will try and find a foreground the complements the sky, my images of Hadrian's wall are taken at a Bortle 3 site so I should be able to get something decent if I try. The only time that I really tried was in the summer and when I processed the shots I could see the sun way down below the horizon so it is wait for winter and wrap up warm. I have a Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens which is reckened to be cheap but ok. Ken

Last edited:
Top Bottom