Fort Vancouver Grounds +edit

AlanLichty

Just north of the level plain that the Hudson Bay Company used for their trading post is where the US Army decided to build their own encampment on higher ground overlooking the Hudson Bay palisades. There have been a number of activities that have been imposed on the hillside between the encampments but for the most part the hillside has been abandoned and left alone since WW I. The area has become a nice green space that gets appreciated almost daily. It was frequently part of several of my lunchtime running routes when I was working in downtown Vancouver.

590nm with channel swap.

IR-FVGrounds1.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Edit: A new version that changes the hue for the reds back a bit and adds some contrast to the trees.

IR-FVGrounds1a.jpg

Better? Worse?

Another edit - this got a lot closer to what I was trying to do with the color maps:

IR-FVGrounds1b.jpg

Last edited:

JimFox

Staff member
This sure looks cool Alan, and maybe because the trees are a lime green. But then I thought that with a channel swap the trees shouldn't be a lime green they should be orange.

Your sky looks better then mine usually do. :) It is a blue color, mine has been more cyan lately. But I wonder why the trees aren't orange?

AlanLichty

This sure looks cool Alan, and maybe because the trees are a lime green. But then I thought that with a channel swap the trees shouldn't be a lime green they should be orange.

Your sky looks better then mine usually do. :) It is a blue color, mine has been more cyan lately. But I wonder why the trees aren't orange?
Not sure about your monitor but it's more of a yellow color I was shooting for on the trees and what I see on my monitor. I haven't been all that impressed with the orange look and modified the Hue/Saturation to push the trees towards a more yellow/gold look. For the skies I push the cyan hue over towards a deeper blue and decrease the saturation to get a better contrast to the clouds without the cyan fringe and darken the luminosity a bit as well.

I set up some actions to handle this so that when I bring a RAW image in I have a profile for the camera in Lightroom as a starting point and then an action in PS to refine the adjustments. I do the final adjustments using Topaz Studio.

AlanLichty

OK I finally got the effect I was trying to coax out of this scene after quite a few tries. Happily I have recorded the actions that got things here so this can easily be replicated.

I have seen a wide range of results for 590nm converted camera bodies but this is the one that first captured my attention when I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with IR.

JimFox

Staff member
OK I finally got the effect I was trying to coax out of this scene after quite a few tries. Happily I have recorded the actions that got things here so this can easily be replicated.

I have seen a wide range of results for 590nm converted camera bodies but this is the one that first captured my attention when I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with IR.
I sure like the last one a lot. And I actually liked the first one as the lime green I thought looked cool. It was just for all of the weird colors we can get with IR, I just so far hadn't seen that coloring.

Yeah, one of the fun things as we mentioned is the variety of colors available to us. You are probably smarter then me, because I still am not using any actions. Each one I am just editing my manual adjustments.

I like how you maintained the blue in the sky in all of your edits. And again, I really like that last one.

JimFox

Staff member
Not sure about your monitor but it's more of a yellow color I was shooting for on the trees and what I see on my monitor. I haven't been all that impressed with the orange look and modified the Hue/Saturation to push the trees towards a more yellow/gold look. For the skies I push the cyan hue over towards a deeper blue and decrease the saturation to get a better contrast to the clouds without the cyan fringe and darken the luminosity a bit as well.

I set up some actions to handle this so that when I bring a RAW image in I have a profile for the camera in Lightroom as a starting point and then an action in PS to refine the adjustments. I do the final adjustments using Topaz Studio.
Yeah, I prefer the yellow coloring too for the trees. Once in a while I like the orange, but if I had just one choice it would be yellow.

AlanLichty

I sure like the last one a lot. And I actually liked the first one as the lime green I thought looked cool. It was just for all of the weird colors we can get with IR, I just so far hadn't seen that coloring.

Yeah, one of the fun things as we mentioned is the variety of colors available to us. You are probably smarter then me, because I still am not using any actions. Each one I am just editing my manual adjustments.

I like how you maintained the blue in the sky in all of your edits. And again, I really like that last one.
I have seen a lot of ways to vary the colors of the final results so I decided that I had better record some of what I am doing to get there. The biggest difference between the first two images and the last is how hard I pushed the blue temperature while still in RAW in Lightroom. Pushing that deep into the blue gave me more vivid yellows once I did the channel swap. Cyan after the channel swap is what gets the skies to the shade you see. I am doing that in the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer in PS. Most of the work in Hue/Saturation is done specifically in cyan and red. Things may look yellow or blue on your screen but neither of those does anything in the adjustment layer because of our channel swapping. Weird stuff to get used to....

Top Bottom