Following the Trail of Comet Neowise + 2 Edits

JimFox

Staff member
As some of you know, I was kind of following the Comet Neowise all over. It wasn't intentional really, but it just sort of happened. :) I shot it in Arches NP, the Tetons, and several times in Rocky Mountain NP. This is one of those times were I shot it up at RMNP and using this cool wall area for a foreground interest. This is up along Trail Ridge in RMNP, a super cool drive with amazing views.

This was with the Sony A6400 and the 12mm f2.0 lens. I had 3 camera's going that night to shoot it at various focal lengths. I liked this perhaps the best because there was no moon that night, the only light came from the stars or passing cars. :) With shooting wide I could go with a longer shutter speed (20 secs) and lower ISO and f stop (ISO 3200 and f2.0). I shot with longer lenses to get tighter, but that meant shutter speeds of about 4 secs on those with ISO's of 12,800. They surprisingly are pretty clean shots, but with my heart being that of a landscape photographer, going wide like this image kind of best speaks to me. I will process some of the tighter ones later, but I wanted to start with this wider view, well and that it got a nice long meteor in it too probably helped to persuade me. :)

All comments are welcome,

Jim

*** Added to edits from suggestions.

#1 - Original
_A649329_dw.jpg

#2 - Edit with snow in Left Corner Autofilled out
_A649329_d1w.jpg

#3 - Corner filled and Monika's crop
_A649329_d2w.jpg

Kyle Jones

Very nice result Jim. I'd be tempted to crop from the bottom to eliminate the triangle of snow in the lower left. The sky is the star anyway...

JimFox

Staff member
Pretty bright foreground for a moonless night. I like how the comet is positioned.
Thanks Jameel. It's darker in the raw, the image was brightened by 1 stop in ACR. But it was still amazing just how well that sky full of stars did light up the ground.

JimFox

Staff member
Very nice result Jim. I'd be tempted to crop from the bottom to eliminate the triangle of snow in the lower left. The sky is the star anyway...
I had thought about that too Kyle, but the problem with cropping it is then it ruins the lines of the snow coming down in the middle. I could just autofill that snow out of the corner, I might try that.

Thanks!

Kyle Jones

I had thought about that too Kyle, but the problem with cropping it is then it ruins the lines of the snow coming down in the middle. I could just autofill that snow out of the corner, I might try that.

Thanks!
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too.

JimFox

Staff member
Wonderful image Jim. What is the blue streak going up from the comet?
Thanks so much Dale!

The comet had 2 tails, the blue is called the Blue Ion Tail. One of the interesting aspects of this Comet was that it had 2 phases.

The first phase let it be photographed early in the morning. With that phase the Blue Ion tail was not seen, or barely seen. I don't have it in any of my early morning photos.

The second phase was when it transitioned to where we could see and photograph it at night after sunset. That's when the Blue Ion tail was easily seen, even by eye.

The Blue Ion Tail points away from the sun, and get's pushed away from the main tail by solar winds. That's about all I know about it, other then I know it looked cool. :)

MonikaC

Thanks!
I wouldn't crop from the bottom for the same reason. That snow in the lower left isn't bright enough to draw my eye away from the comets, especially since Neowise's tail is so bright. I think you could crop a bit from the top, though, & make the top of the cliff around midline.

JimFox

Staff member
I wouldn't crop from the bottom for the same reason. That snow in the lower left isn't bright enough to draw my eye away from the comets, especially since Neowise's tail is so bright. I think you could crop a bit from the top, though, & make the top of the cliff around midline.
Thanks for the idea Monika, I added to edits, one of them is a crop.

Top Bottom