Epic sunset on the Blue Ridge Parkway

AlanLichty

That's a seriously nice color show for this sunset. I especially like #2 and #3 with the light showing off some of the fall colors on the ground.

Jim Dockery

That would be a sunset I'd be torn between setting up a time-lapse (although to do it right you have to set-up before it gets good) and going nuts shooting a variety of angles and zooms. Two cameras needed to do it justice.

Luvwine

That would be a sunset I'd be torn between setting up a time-lapse (although to do it right you have to set-up before it gets good) and going nuts shooting a variety of angles and zooms. Two cameras needed to do it justice.
Ironically, I had two cameras set up on two tripods and was bemoaning the fact that the widest lens I currently own is 21mm. I foolishly sold my 12-2-4. I really just used the 21 90% of the time. I was busy trying to figure out what to shoot and to make sure I shot at enough different exposures to play with in post. The color was off to the right at first and then migrated till I did not know which way to point my camera. Never seen anything like it.

I am torn about lightening the foreground more for more fall color as then it looks less real to me but does add interest to the picture.

Here are three more with longer lenses after the color began:

JimFox

Staff member
What awesome color Stephen! It's always nice when we get surprised like this.

#2 and 3 are my favorites, with #3 being my favorite with the way the clouds are radiating out. I would definitely be in favor of brightening up the foreground in #2 and 3 a little more.

Luvwine

What awesome color Stephen! It's always nice when we get surprised like this.

#2 and 3 are my favorites, with #3 being my favorite with the way the clouds are radiating out. I would definitely be in favor of brightening up the foreground in #2 and 3 a little more.
Hi Jim, is this closer to what you might suggest? These are HDR images and I have a fair amount of latitude. Oh, and just for giggles, here is one of my wife's iphone pics of me, lol.

Timmeh

Hi Stephen,

#3 was the winner for me out of the originals, and I like the brighter shadows in the last image. The tree placement away from the edge is also better for me.

Tim

Luvwine

Hi Stephen,

#3 was the winner for me out of the originals, and I like the brighter shadows in the last image. The tree placement away from the edge is also better for me.

Tim
Thanks much for your comments. I fouled up and put in a different pic, lol. I took a million during this sunset and I got them confused. You are right about the tree and thanks for the feedback on lightening the shadows. I don’t get many sunset opportunities like this one and want to both do it justice and yet not overdo it. Impartial feedback is very helpful so thank you again.

Top Bottom