Dunskey Castle

Ken Rennie

This 12thC castle in South West Scotland should have an interesting story full of battles and bloodshed but really the owners got sick of staying there and moved away and lot it fall down. This should be a morning shot but I arrived in the evening and had to deal with shooting straight into the sun. Ken
_DSC1271-HDR-1.jpg
_DSC1296-1.jpg

AlanLichty

I love the backlit scene with this old ruin. I like the close in perspective in the first image and the B&W suits this scene well.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Loving that first image Ken. The sky drama is fantastic in both. Those ribs of rocks coming down from the castle almost seem to be like appendages of the castle.

JimFox

Staff member
These both are cool Ken. I think the backlighting plays in to strengthening these as ruins.

I like that channel of water in #2, it makes for a strong image, but I think that huge rock in #1 really anchors the shot, and being as it's in the foreground like that it kind of plays in contrast to the ruined castle, almost like it's part of the ruin.

pepper

love the rich b&w tones. i'd pick the first as my favorite only because in the second the water competes with the ruins (which seem to be darker than in the first).

Jim Dockery

I'm with Jim, I like em both, but #1 for me. My only niggle would be wanting a bit more water to the left of the anchor rock.

Ken Rennie

Thank you all very much. I too would have liked to have had more water in the first but on a falling tide I couldn't get here without getting very wet and that would be without slipping into the sea from the wet and extremely slippery rocks. Ken

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Nice images both. I like the composition of the first. Wish it had as much detail
In the rocks as the second.

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Staff member
Very cool set, the 1st seems a little more impactful to me, from the closer perspective I'm guessing. Both are very good tho, and an fascinating target with an interesting backstory.

ML

Ken Rennie

I should have said that the dynamic range was extreme, the sun was shining straight at me. I bracketed +-4 stops and was using a 3 stop ND grad so very dark shadows in the black rocks and very bright highlights in the clouds and a fair bit of veiling flair. Ken

Joe Colozzo

congrats on the Feature and dang that is some fantastic B&W images! The comp and processing on the first one is a real standout!

Top Bottom