Columbia River Gorge Access 2018

AlanLichty

Unless you are a hermit living entirely off the grid you are aware of last fall's Eagle Creek fire in the Columbia River Gorge. Since you are reading this I am assuming you aren't that hermit :)

Access has been profoundly disrupted since the fire and will remain so throughout this summer. For the most part the Historic Highway in the Gorge is closed from the parking lot at Bridal Veil Falls up to the Bridge of the Gods near Cascade Locks. You can access the Women's Forum overlook, Crown Point, Latourell Falls, and Bridal Veil Falls. Trails at Shepperds Dell are closed although you can shoot the falls from the Historic Highway bridge.

Multnomah Falls can be accessed from the I-84 parking lot. The lodge is open and the chainlink fence at the lower viewpoint has been removed. All trails leading to other locations are closed. Fair warning - I have driven I-84 in the gorge quite a few times in the past weeks and the parking lot is a madhouse. People are waiting in their cars for someone else to leave so they can park and this is in the middle of the week in the middle of the day. Weekends are worse. I have seen the entrances to the parking lot closed off because there were too many cars backed up. There is a shuttle called the Columbia Gorge Express with stops at some key locations.

USFS has some good PDF references that can help you figure out what is and isn't open for access:

USFS Fire Closure Map
and
Trip Planning Guide

The link is in fine print on the USFS web site but be aware of the legal notice that is in effect from now until June 2019:

Closure Legal Notice

Every parking area in the closed sections of the gorge I have been able to see from the freeway are barricaded and have guards posted. Quite a few people have been fined for trespassing in the closed areas so be aware that this isn't a casual "Gee don't go there" situation. The closed portions of the Historic Highway are closed to all traffic including bicycle and foot traffic.

Plan your trips to take these closures into account.

JimFox

Staff member
Thanks so much Alan for taking the time to put this together. I am sure this will be a great help to anyone heading thinking on going there.

Shibu George

Thanks Alan for posting, this is the information what I was looking for a possible fall trip, after reading this I may postpone to 2019. Thanks again!

Top Bottom