Canon 14-21mm f1.4 Lens

JimFox

Staff member
This is the rumor I saw that I had mentioned to Ben for the RF system.

From CanonRumors a 14-21mm f1.4 lens, that would be an ultimate Astrophotography lens!

“ The source claims that a Canon RF 14-21mm f/1.4L USM is currently being tested by select photographers. We’ve seen a patent for such a lens in the past and I have heard mentions of this lens a few times over the last year or so.”

For more follow this link: https://www.canonrumors.com/is-the-...ng-another-rf-14-21mm-f-1-4l-usm-mention-cr2/

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
This would be an ultimate lens for MW. But I expect it to cost even more than the 15-35RF 2.8.

The issue I need to deal with is if you could actually shoot a MW wide open with it? A lot of these fast lenses need to be stopped down a bit to help the edges and corners. If so, the extra speed is not working for you. Then if you want to get foreground, you need to stop down even more just for DOF.

Thanks for finding this Jim, much appreciated.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Very interesting and a CR2 to boot. Given the cost of the 28-70/f2 @ over $3K, I dread to think what this would cost.

JimFox

Staff member
This would be an ultimate lens for MW. But I expect it to cost even more than the 15-35RF 2.8.

The issue I need to deal with is if you could actually shoot a MW wide open with it? A lot of these fast lenses need to be stopped down a bit to help the edges and corners. If so, the extra speed is not working for you. Then if you want to get foreground, you need to stop down even more just for DOF.

Thanks for finding this Jim, much appreciated.
Ben, if it's a 1.4 lens, even if you stop it down to f1.8 then you are doing much better then a f4 lens. Remember an f4 lens should also be stopped down some to increase sharpness of it. And that's true of just about ever lens that I know of. At wide open, they all are going to be soft to some degree in the corners compared to the center. So don't get too hung up on that, because it seems like you might be.

And yeah, I am sure it's not going to be cheap for sure.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
QUOTE="JimFox, post: 119170, member: 1"]
Sorry for being a Canon novice.... what's CR2 mean?
[/QUOTE]

It’s a rumor level. The higher the number the closer it is to reality. CR0 is pure speculation. CR3 likely even have a time frame.

Top Bottom