Balloons

DougW

Image from the 2018 Balloon Fiesta in Albq. It is truly an amazing event. Such an incredible amount of balloons and so surreal when you see massive takeoffs filling the sky. It's also incredible to walk the fields with the balloons being inflated and you can reach out and actually touch fabric. If you haven't been ... this is an event I highly recommend to experience at least once!
Canon a3000 @ 590nm

BalloonFiesta_1200.jpg

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
Very interesting to see this in IR. Normally the baloons are so colorful that standard color is the choice. The dark skies make this look so different. Nicely done.

DougW

Thanks all and yes, the colorful, majestic display of typical hot air balloons is ideal for standard color photography and the reason Kodak was the primary sponsor of the Balloon Fiesta for years before their demise; however, infrared has an interesting place with revealing textures and pattern not seen in the visible realm and then sometimes, color IR with the faux colors creates a fairytale, surreal wonderland which is what I was attempting with the balloon show BUT have little doubts, I was also snapping a bunch of photos with my standard, regular ‘ol camera. :)

Panther

Those really turned out Stunning Doug, love them against that Black Sky and I also really like
seeing all the people really adds a great sense of scale. Well Done!!!

Take Care, Be Safe, and Well,

CK

JimFox

Staff member
So amazing! This is one of the most eye popping IR photos I have seen in a while! Amazing work here, and love the look of this. I have been wanting to get to the balloon festival for a few years now. I wasn't even thinking of capturing it in IR, but seeing this you have given me added motivation to go.

DougW

Thanks again all! And Jim, I can't give enough accolades and encouragement to go. It's an amazing event with such an awesome amount of balloons. Also, when I was describing the Fiesta and mentioning Kodak, I was also thinking about Canon and mistakenly stated my camera was a Canon a3000. LOL! My IR camera is a Sony a3000. Canon and the Fiesta folks got into somesort of disagreement related to canceling the 2020 event over Covid concern. I don't know the story of what went south but it was unfortunate. I liked it when Canon was there. If you got to the event earlier enough, they had several of their cameras available to borrow for the entire morning. I was able to test out the Canon 5dmIV when it was new and almost bought one as they also had a killer deal if purchased at the event.

DougW

Thanks Alisa! I hope you get a chance to go. It is really an incredible event to experience. With the way things are changing with security, I don't know how much longer they will allow people to walk around the field while the balloons are being inflated. I'm betting they will eventually section this part off where you can only watch the inflating crews from outside somesort of border which would eliminate much of the magic.

Top Bottom