Always looking for the ultimate bag

Doug P

Curious what bags people are using. Seems I have about a half dozen bags laying around from Lowepro and others.

What bag do you use, do you "love it" or are you also on a search for that ultimate bag.

Most of the time it is one body, 3 lenses, filters, attached tripod (a must!) and other goodies like batteries, etc. So some of the larger bags are just overkill for me. I use to carry 2 bodies but dont do that any more.

Looking forward to some interesting responses.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I have moved to the Thank Tank belts and pouch system at the urging of Jim and Alan. I like it pretty well but have just ordered the better harness after this last weeks outing with it. Before than and after several other bags, I had a real backpack with an insert to hold my gear. Still the best for hikes where you get real support and it does not kill your back, but it is cumbersome to get on and off. Its a Kelty Redwing 50. It also carries my tripod. I have used Lowepro and still have a couple Kata Sling bags, which are convenient but kill my back and shoulder at about 1/2 mile.

AlanLichty

I have been using Think Tank's belt system for almost 10 years now and can't imagine going back to a back pack. I can access all of my filters and lenses without ever needing to fuss around with a pack while I am out shooting. I have a variety of lens pouches and regularly switch around what lenses I am carrying for any given hike.

JimFox

Staff member
Hey Doug, this probably doesn't qualify as the ultimate bag, but it's what I use to carry my gear. It's also by Think Tank like Ben and Alan, but I don't use the belt system. I run around too much and too crazy and the belt system restricts my leg movement too much. I used the belt system for a long time and just got tired of my legs hitting it as I climbed up rocks and boulders or ran on trails. So I use the same bag from Think Tank, but I use the shoulder strap and just carry it across my chest hanging on my shoulder. My camera goes in the personal camera holder by Think Tank and again it uses the shoulder strap and it hangs on the opposite shoulder and again goes across my chest. So I look like an old western Mexican bandit with ammo belts strung across both should crossing my chest.

That set up is super light, my gear is right there. There is no having to pull a backpack off my back and dig into that. I shoot too much at the ocean and it would be very dangerous and very hard to have my gear in a bag on my back. It carrys my 24-120 and my 70-300mm plus batteries, memory cards, head lamp, flashlight, lens cleaner, lens hoods, remote release. On my camera is the 16-35mm so I have all 3 lens I need in one super compact and lightweight setup.

So technically it's not a camera bag I use when people think of camera bags.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044EDI6Q/ref=psdc_3345931_t1_B0044EFIHI

https://www.amazon.com/Think-Tank-Photo-Hubba-Hiney/dp/B0069S2SE8

Kyle Jones

My main "camera" bag is an F-stop Loka. With a medium ICU I can generally carry whatever I need (I currently have 2 bodies and 4 lenses in there with other accessories). With less camera gear I can carry more other stuff. I also have a Peak Design everyday pack which is better for less gear and being more urban looking. I use it when business traveling. I use backpacking packs with less camera gear for longer, more strenuous hikes where the F-stop isn't sufficiently comfortable.

Top Bottom