A Different Kind of Beach Ball

JimFox

Staff member
I went down to San Diego on Sunday for a fun day at their old Mission church, some early Christmas decoration purchases and then over to the La Jolla and Sunset Cliffs area for sunset. This area here is a cool because it has some rock balls that are part of the rock shelf there. I have shot it before, but I have been wanting to get there at a higher tide for a while now to get the water splashing around.

I went with a faster shutter speed for most of these for 2 reasons. 1st, the water when it sprayed was heavy enough that it was typically more of just a blob being tossed into the air and lost a lot of definition to the spray. 2nd, once the sun popped below the clouds along the horizon, by shooting faster the sun could better backlight the droplets and get them to glow. With a longer shutter speed and streams of water spray, it just doesn't backlight as well.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

_D858111_dw.jpg

AlanLichty

Not quite sure how much fun we could have tossing this particular beach ball back and forth but I do like the image you got out of the scene :)

The foreground reflections from the wave dampened rock shelf helps this scene a lot.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
Good planning here Jim. I this the shutter speed is perfect for this and you have great light for this shot

JimFox

Staff member
Not quite sure how much fun we could have tossing this particular beach ball back and forth but I do like the image you got out of the scene :)

The foreground reflections from the wave dampened rock shelf helps this scene a lot.
Ha ha, yeah I don't think we would be tossing that beach ball around! :)

Top Bottom